• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is partially feather plucking a habit?

allmae

Meeting neighbors
Hi there, I was just wondering if someone could answer me with their feather plucker's knowledge.
I have had Koopa, a rescue parrotlet about two years while she is about 11 years old. All we know is that she was a breeder bird all her life and her mate chewed her feathers on her head. Her mate passed away in the rescue place and I adopted her the next day as she stole my heart. I have her on good food along with some fruit and veggies, her head feathers and wings are perfectly feathered but she chews her chest but not featherless, she leaves just a little 'fuzz'. She is very sassy and makes me laugh the way she does things, Koopa acts like a normal bird (well whatever you call a normal bird). She takes a bath about once a week and as you can see in the pictures, her feather color has gotten much brighter. So, I am wondering is pulling out her chest feathers now just a habit for her?
The pictures are in order from first getting her and currently (FYI she is puffed up in 3rd picture, no weight loss)
Extra note: she does let the feather grow in fully and then pulls them out a couple of days later
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
_MG_7986.JPG _MG_7848.JPG 0-2.jpeg 0-1.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Don’t be embarrassed, be proud of yourself for looking into for your birds well-being! Nothing to be embarrassed about :)