• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Nnnoki (Meyers Parrot) too attached to me?

Nnoki'smom

Moving in
Real Name
Kathy Moore
Nnoki just turned one last month and she came home with me just about two weeks before the covid pandemic moved my work to home. She is with me most of the time, but I am concerned that she doesn't do anything when I am gone. The bird room is also my office, so she is very comfortable there and is fully able to navigate the whole space as she wants, but when I leave she settle onto a window ledge and doesn't move until I come home. This is the same for and hour or 4 hours. Then when I get home she come right to me and then will attack her food that I keep nearby. I worry ab out what she will do when I go out of town. I only do so about once a year. Any thoughts ore ideas?

Ephy

Walking the driveway
I wish i had answers. I also dont think having your office in the bird room would be beneficial to you, or them.
I struggle with this too, because of covid I have days where I get to work from home and it can be confusing for them.

Eventually, I will have to return to work 24/7, so I have been trying to explore options that allow extra attention with them, while also keeping in mind they will have days alone.

You may want to reconsider where your office is. By taking it out of the bird room, you ensure they wont feel overly accustomed to your being with them all the time. They need to learn to exist and do things without humans always in sight.

It may be best to attempt to adopt an "work schedule" with them.

See them, love them, have them out for 10 mins or so "before work hours"

When I am home, i wake them early, change their water, and before opening cages, I announce "good morning! Stretch your wings!"
When its time to go in their cages, i will announce, "cage time!" Followed by fresh mash or treats.

Break time, i go and visit them, say hi, talk nice, follow up with, "work time".

Lunch breaks, give them 15mins of flight time and attention, "lunch time! Stretch your wings!!" Followed by "cage time" 15 mins later and more treats.
End of the day, is totally different household setup, couch blankets come out, special treats in a dish, cages are cleaned etc..

I think I have been really lucky, as my Sparrow gets older, he seems to be really responsive to me and my work needs. He has picked up a ton of sounds he makes that are not loud, to communicate his needs, so I immediately dropped whatever I am doing to try to accommidate his good behaviour.

I mean, its been 6 years with him, and I feel like we are at our best with communication. We have both learned to communicate and Understand each so well because of covid.

But some safe and healthy daily separation can only help your bird when you cant always be there, IMO

sarahw

Moving in
Thank you for posting this @Nnoki'smom. Working from home and maintaining independence in my parrot is also a big concern of mine. Thank you for your suggestion @Ephy. this is something I have been doing with my dog as well, and it gives her a routine to expect and also gives me a good mental break from work interacting with my pets!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is important to develop independent play. Foraging puzzle are a great start. Do what you can to empower your bird to want to explore. You don't want to be the only source of adventure. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with Natalie, having multiple foraging opportunities available will help keep your bird mentally active and engaged while you are not home. You can start teaching her how to do them, but once she´s getting used to them, try to back away and see if she can work it out on her own.
Start with easy ones, and work your way up to harder ones.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)

Nnoki'smom

Moving in
Real Name
Kathy Moore
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I love having Nnoki with me, and as I am the only one living with with her have a hard time confining herto a cage when I am home, but I know It is iportant for her to have some ability to function independently. I will try some of the toys and treats to help her enjoy her cage for slowly increasing periods of time over the next few weeks.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Leave her cage open when you are home. My bird Pi is out most of the day. He will nap in his cage with the door open. I think adding a few play stands will help encourage independence.