• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is NewCastle Disease affect parakeets??

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, I want to know is Budiges, cockatiels and other parakeet birds effected by Newcastle Disease like poultry?? Is parakeet birds budgies, cockatiels and other parakeet birds need vaccine for Newcastle Disease like poultry?? I have 2 types of parakeets at this moment (budgies and cockatiels) and increase it in future and I will bought more types of parakeets. Is this same virus like poultry or different virus?? In our country there is no special vaccine available for parakeets/birds. Some people use poultry vaccine in newcastle disease example: Lzovac H120 La Sota, La Sota Hipra, Cevac 500 etc in lowest dose to parakeets and they claim that they get good result by using it on parakeets specially on budgies. How effective and safe is this?? I also heard, newcastle disease don't affect parakeets is this right?? I don't go to conclusion with this topic which is right?? Thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would assume that newcastles effects parakeets and cockatiels - they are parrots, just like a macaw is a parrot.

It would be best if you ask a vet these questions - we in the USA rarely vaccinate for Newcastles as it is very nearly eradicated here.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I honestly don't know anything about Newcastles disease. I guess it depends on your location, speak to your vet and see if a vaccination is needed, and in the meantime, please practice safe quarantine for all your birds and new birds that you may bring in.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
If you are speaking about Virulent Newcastle’s disease - Yes, all birds are susceptible to it. IF you live in area we’re it is prevalent ie Southern California and Flagstaff, AZ you should not let your birds out. You should also remove your clothes in the garage and put them straight into the washer. Also make sure your shoes stay out of the house. It can literally travel on the dirt you walk across outside. Shower thoroughly before handling your birds. There is NO cure. There is no vaccine for it. The mortality rate is up to 75% among psittacines. However, for everyone’s birds who do not have it and to prevent the spread of the disease - the control method is euthanasia. I wish there was better news but it’s something that must be taken very seriously. Please be careful & protect your fids!