• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is my sun conure missing a friend?

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Isla is my sun conure. She’s about 4 months old now. For about a month she had a green cheek conure friend who she loved. you’ll see in the photos. They loved each other! i’ve heard green cheeks and suns don’t mind each other but don’t normally love each other the way these two did! Unfortunately i lost the green cheek on the 24th of july. i haven’t noticed a difference in Isla till yesterday. Since we lost Emi she’s been trying to play with my Indian ringneck Hiro. He hasn’t been to amused by this. He’s very chill and she wants to play more rough like conures do. She’s starting to play more rough with me which means nipping. she’s only playing she’s not mad but that’s the way she plays. her and emi used to play like this too. I’m wondering if she’s missing a play buddy since mine don’t like to play with her because she can be a little rough with her play. Do you think she’d benefit from another sun conure? She has a lot of attention from me. she’s very attached to me and tends to always be around me. So i’m always here to play with her and things! She loves that but she still tries to play rough with me and she doesn’t have another bird to play with and she tries to play with mine. i don’t know if it’s humanising her too much

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
She does seem to want a friend to play rough with, make sure your ready for another bird though.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
And remember that like you said, they are not normally that close to the green cheek...so getting her a buddy of that kind may not work the way it did before...may want to research what kind would be the best species to introduce to her so she can have that similar bond

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
They do like friends and when younger are more accepting of interactions. But as meerkat07 said, are you okay with another bird?

And you do need to be careful with different interactions. In hormone mode, a sunnie can do a lot of damage to a cheekie or smaller bird.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
And remember that like you said, they are not normally that close to the green cheek...so getting her a buddy of that kind may not work the way it did before...may want to research what kind would be the best species to introduce to her so she can have that similar bond
yes i won’t be getting her a green cheek friend! she’s probably a jenday conure so i believe i’m going with a rescue jenday

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
They do like friends and when younger are more accepting of interactions. But as meerkat07 said, are you okay with another bird?

And you do need to be careful with different interactions. In hormone mode, a sunnie can do a lot of damage to a cheekie or smaller bird.
oh yeah! i’ve got space and time. i just want her to be happy. it won’t be a green cheek again just because they bond is very uncommon