• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my Senegal parrot happy?

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I have seen him on the bottom:
- looking for food: usually during the rest of the day when it happened
- waiting for me to come and open the cage this way he can go out on my shoulder or on someone else.
If he's desperate enough to seek out food between the grates then I would suggest re-portioning his pellet to seed ratio. It's a set back, but these things take time. & It sounds like he needs to become a bit more independent. It seems as though he's relying solely on getting out of his cage as entertainment. Does he have foot toys in addition to hanging ones? My Hahn's loves throwing balls around on the bottom of her cage.

SunTruth

If he's desperate enough to seek out food between the grates then I would suggest re-portioning his pellet to seed ratio. It's a set back, but these things take time. & It sounds like he needs to become a bit more independent. It seems as though he's relying solely on getting out of his cage as entertainment. Does he have foot toys in addition to hanging ones? My Hahn's loves throwing balls around on the bottom of her cage.
Yes I agree for the pellet and it is what I did until several days now. I give him some grain and a little bit of what I eat or I put a plate on the table for him eating with me some vegetables, since he wants to eat what I eat.

Also I tried to put different toys but he does not mind them or he seems afraid of them. And I never tried foot toys but I will try to order some. Also someone else here told me to put new perches, toys… outside of the cage for a while this way he can get used.

I do not know what to think, yes his main goal is to getting out of the cage and to stay on me. I am afraid he is despressed or unhappy.

SunTruth

I have a 5 yr old senegal female since birth. they are mostly quiet, she sits and naps in the afternoon not one sound, in the evening and morning she paces back and forth and chirps also talks. other than that she never ever yells unless my other bird annoys her. they are known for being good apartment birds for the small amount of noise they make. I give her the same mix i give my other, zupreem mix of pellets, naturals, fruit blend also tropimix and a fruit nut mix from higgins. shes not big on pellets never has been but she eats them in small amounts. You should weigh them every month to ensure they are healthy, also make sure the poop is bright green a s bright white combo not runny. mine weighs 138 grams for reference. as for toys you will want them next to their favorite perch, they dont travel to play very lazy lol.
Oh could you tell me which pellets from zupreem she eats the most? Here we only have natural or the nutblend one. I wish there was the fruitblend here but there isnt. Also for the tropimix which size are you using I have checked and there is several sizes.

Thank you!

SunTruth

Suddenly I think something could it also be light related?

I explain usually from morning to around 5 or 6 pm he is very quiet. Suddenly at 6 pm he starts getting more energetic, and we usually plays a game where he pretends to bite me or he flies all around the house.

In my appartment I do not have a lot of sun so I wonder if it could be something like light related.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam

I explain usually from morning to around 5 or 6 pm he is very quiet. Suddenly at 6 pm he starts getting more energetic, and we usually plays a game where he pretends to bite me or he flies all around the house.

In my appartment I do not have a lot of sun so I wonder if it could be something like light related.

you are concentrating on pellets a lot, but that isn't the full diet, make sure nuts and fruit are in his mix not just pellets, if u leave a bowl of just pellets he will not survive. make sure you are putting enough food, shouldn't be roaming the bottom for food. that will lead to other issues like death or plucking. don't focus on pellet specifics get 4 different kinds of pellet not one and mix them put the whole mix of 4 in the bowl with the nut fruit mix. its impossible to sit and try to narrow which pellet may be eaten you must provide several options in the same bowl. the bird should not be on vitamins or anything else. a pellet fills in the remainder of nutrition nuts fruit don't give. you must fix that issue asap. secondly if dealing with respiratory issues make sure humidity is at least 45 percent in his room. too dry of air will cause issues, as will too humid. my senegal is never on the bottom period. not to play not to look for food nothing. they don't roam bottom of the cage for fun its not the kind of active parrot that does so.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam

around 5 or 6pm is when most birds get active its feeding time before bed (dawn). you should notice the very same right when the cage is uncovered in the morning. If you don't have windows or sun then you are answering many of your own questions. they like humans need light too. doesn't need to be sun if eating pellets but make sure there is a light on the cage lighting it up decently and a way for him to go under if wanting to feel warm or whatever. lighting and food is about 50 percent of the battle.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Oh could you tell me which pellets from zupreem she eats the most? Here we only have natural or the nutblend one. I wish there was the fruitblend here but there isnt. Also for the tropimix which size are you using I have checked and there is several sizes.

Thank you!

get the natural zu Preem if that's all you see its fine, same as fruit blend in nutrition and get the tropimix, I give her full blown regular size of all. same size pellets my mini macaw eats. doesn't have to be small they hold it and eat. main thing is that its in the bowl.

SunTruth

you are concentrating on pellets a lot, but that isn't the full diet, make sure nuts and fruit are in his mix not just pellets, if u leave a bowl of just pellets he will not survive. make sure you are putting enough food, shouldn't be roaming the bottom for food. that will lead to other issues like death or plucking. don't focus on pellet specifics get 4 different kinds of pellet not one and mix them put the whole mix of 4 in the bowl with the nut fruit mix. its impossible to sit and try to narrow which pellet may be eaten you must provide several options in the same bowl. the bird should not be on vitamins or anything else. a pellet fills in the remainder of nutrition nuts fruit don't give. you must fix that issue asap. secondly if dealing with respiratory issues make sure humidity is at least 45 percent in his room. too dry of air will cause issues, as will too humid. my senegal is never on the bottom period. not to play not to look for food nothing. they don't roam bottom of the cage for fun its not the kind of active parrot that does so.
Thank you for all these advice.

Could you help me and tell me what I could change there.

Right now in the cage concerning food there is:

- a bowl with water

- a bowel with fruit (apple + strawberry) and vegetable (corn today)

- a bowl with the pellets

- a bowl with seeds.

Do I use too many bowl? Should I keep only one and mix everything inside?

From this morning to now he did not eat anything apart corn I gave him while I was eating on the table in a plate like mine. And also I gave him some seeds.

I tried to show him an almond and I put this almond in another new bowl, with only this almond inside. He stayed on the roof outside of the cage, he seems like afraid of the new bowl or something.

I also got him a pedi perch today apparently he is afraid too.

If you can give me any advice thank you so much I know I probably do a lot of mistake.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Thank you for all these advice.

Could you help me and tell me what I could change there.

Right now in the cage concerning food there is:

- a bowl with water

- a bowel with fruit (apple + strawberry) and vegetable (corn today)

- a bowl with the pellets

- a bowl with seeds.

Do I use too many bowl? Should I keep only one and mix everything inside?

From this morning to now he did not eat anything apart corn I gave him while I was eating on the table in a plate like mine. And also I gave him some seeds.

I tried to show him an almond and I put this almond in another new bowl, with only this almond inside. He stayed on the roof outside of the cage, he seems like afraid of the new bowl or something.

I also got him a pedi perch today apparently he is afraid too.

If you can give me any advice thank you so much I know I probably do a lot of mistake.

you can use a separate bowl for wet foods like veggies and greens but that's it. should be really two bowls only water and pellets mixed with nuts fruit (dry). some people do keep pellets in a separate bowl. to me that's not needed on senegal. mix all in one remove the rest. so keep one bowl water one fruit pellet nuts all together, and don't change the way he is fed too much.. changing bowls changing a lot of items causes stress. they like stability.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
if I give veggies I remove the pellets seeds mix and put only veggies, when done I dump it and replace pellets seed mix

SunTruth

around 5 or 6pm is when most birds get active its feeding time before bed (dawn). you should notice the very same right when the cage is uncovered in the morning. If you don't have windows or sun then you are answering many of your own questions. they like humans need light too. doesn't need to be sun if eating pellets but make sure there is a light on the cage lighting it up decently and a way for him to go under if wanting to feel warm or whatever. lighting and food is about 50 percent of the battle.
Yes exactly he is also very active for a short time when he wakes up

Where I live we do not have a lot of sun but someday there is. I just ordered this week lamp light for bird this one

I hope it is going to help.

Thank you!

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Yes exactly he is also very active for a short time when he wakes up

Where I live we do not have a lot of sun but someday there is. I just ordered this week lamp light for bird this one

I hope it is going to help.

Thank you!
that should be good. until it comes just make sure he has light of some sort over the cage. doesn't have to be UV since the pellet gives the D3 necessary but nothing is better than the natural sun of course.

SunTruth

you can use a separate bowl for wet foods like veggies and greens but that's it. should be really two bowls only water and pellets mixed with nuts fruit (dry). some people do keep pellets in a separate bowl. to me that's not needed on senegal. mix all in one remove the rest. so keep one bowl water one fruit pellet nuts all together, and don't change the way he is fed too much.. changing bowls changing a lot of items causes stress. they like stability.
Ok that is helping me a lot I will keep the water bowl + mix of fruit seed and pellet only

SunTruth

that should be good. until it comes just make sure he has light of some sort over the cage. doesn't have to be UV since the pellet gives the D3 necessary but nothing is better than the natural sun of course.
In some month we will have more light but right now it is raining so I wait for the lamp next week.

Thank you again!

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
In some month we will have more light but right now it is raining so I wait for the lamp next week.

Thank you again!

anytime, please make sure you get those pellets as soon as you can to give a wider option of what to eat. its important especially no sun he at least eats some pellet. if he's not liking them its important to get more to find one he likes. also as mentioned check for nutriberries, senegals do love them and it has the nutrition of pellets.

SunTruth

anytime, please make sure you get those pellets as soon as you can to give a wider option of what to eat. its important especially no sun he at least eats some pellet. if he's not liking them its important to get more to find one he likes. also as mentioned check for nutriberries, senegals do love them and it has the nutrition of pellets.
Sadly I also have nutriberries (the classical one and the veggies) and he doesnt really mind at them.
I do not know why he is so afraid and reluctant to try things. On the other hand you should see how crazy he is for stealing my food. I think he would like only eating what I eat.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Sadly I also have nutriberries (the classical one and the veggies) and he doesnt really mind at them.
I do not know why he is so afraid and reluctant to try things. On the other hand you should see how crazy he is for stealing my food. I think he would like only eating what I eat.
that's a dangerous routine to start. don't let him get used to thinking human food is his. that's way too much fat for a senegal and causes health issues. nutriberries are loved by them.. makes me worry he's more sick than you think. could you take a pic of inside and him so I can see ? just incase something else is there that shouldn't be

SunTruth

that's a dangerous routine to start. don't let him get used to thinking human food is his. that's way too much fat for a senegal and causes health issues. nutriberries are loved by them.. makes me worry he's more sick than you think. could you take a pic of inside and him so I can see ? just incase something else is there that shouldn't be
Yes I am going to stop letting him eat with me :(
He used to love nutriberries and lost interest when I think he started waiting for me to eat for him eating.
Just sent you some pictures!