• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you think he's ugly looking?

• Yes, ugly boi

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No, beautiful boi

Votes: 37 94.9%

• Total voters

Peri-Keet

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Keely
IMG_3443.PNG
I have a baby Red Rumped parakeet/parrot who I love dearly, but everyone who I show pictures of him to is saying he's "kinda ugly" or "the ugly duckling". It happens usually after I show them pictures of mature red rumps, or other red rumps with more iridescent colors. I'm still unsure if he'll grow in those vibrant feathers when he's older, but to me I really don't care. What do you think?
:cry3:

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I think he's adorable. Non bird people seem to think they should be brightly colored. Don't know how you can look at that face and say ugly!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You know that he's cute and a great companion, and that's all that matters! Ignore those people, or better yet, go to bat for your baby and tell them he's beautiful no matter what they think.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's beautiful!! Congrats on getting him.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He's a baby...He's cute just looks like he ate & got his feathers around his face wet.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
View attachment 253197
I have a baby Red Rumped parakeet/parrot who I love dearly, but everyone who I show pictures of him to is saying he's "kinda ugly" or "the ugly duckling". It happens usually after I show them pictures of mature red rumps, or other red rumps with more iridescent colors. I'm still unsure if he'll grow in those vibrant feathers when he's older, but to me I really don't care. What do you think?
:cry3:
Unless you get a Hybrid Mutation ...
You have a female , the males have the iridescent colors. Females' are muted shades of green and grey. Red Rumps are usually sold in bonded male and female pairs, they prefer to be paired off with opposite sex, get a male for her...Here's my pair Chipper & Violet...
20160801_204726.png This is the female Violet 20160801_203934.png this is the male Chipper

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Super cute baby!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
He is cute!

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely

Unless you get a Hybrid Mutation ...
You have a female , the males have the iridescent colors. Females' are muted shades of green and grey. Red Rumps are usually sold in bonded male and female pairs, they prefer to be paired off with opposite sex, get a male for her...Here's my pair Chipper & Violet...
View attachment 253202 This is the female Violet View attachment 253203 this is the male Chipper
He's actually the male in the pair, he has a sister that I didn't adopt. He also has the red rump, which I think only the males have?
The female he was with is on the right
IMG_3459.PNG
(Obviously I don't want to make it sound like I know more than you, as you HAVE red rumps, but I wasn't told by the breeder that he's the male in the pair.)
I also wanted to ask, I've heard that they can be aggressive birds as they mature. The one that I have is as sweet as can be, is this false?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
He's actually the male in the pair, he has a sister that I didn't adopt. He also has the red rump, which I think only the males have?
The female he was with is on the right
View attachment 253217
(Obviously I don't want to make it sound like I know more than you, as you HAVE red rumps, but I wasn't told by the breeder that he's the male in the pair.)
I also wanted to ask, I've heard that they can be aggressive birds as they mature. The one that I have is as sweet as can be, is this false?
Oh that's good he has the red rump :) no worries about knowing more than me ,I cant tell by the picture of him ,if he has a red rump , he should get his adult feathers after a few baby molts, my male is getting more iridescent the older he gets. I've read that too! they can pick on other species , like budgies and cockatiels if kept in a space that is to small. I know that mine, try to dive bomb my Cockatoos when I have them out together. :eek: that's fearless for sure ! but it all depends on each bird, yes there are certain traits within a given species. but every bird is an individual. My mantra ... nothing is written in stone. ;)
P.S. I guess his beak will get darker as he matures , Is he a Mutation ?

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
He's beautiful.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
He is adorable and still just a baby!

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
Oh that's good he has the red rump :) no worries about knowing more than me ,I cant tell by the picture of him ,if he has a red rump , he should get his adult feathers after a few baby molts, my male is getting more iridescent the older he gets. I've read that too! they can pick on other species , like budgies and cockatiels if kept in a space that is to small. I know that mine, try to dive bomb my Cockatoos when I have them out together. :eek: that's fearless for sure ! but it all depends on each bird, yes there are certain traits within a given species. but every bird is an individual. My mantra ... nothing is written in stone. ;)
P.S. I guess his beak will get darker as he matures , Is he a Mutation ?
I'm not quite sure if he's a mutation, I'd guess because he looks so different that he might be? The female with him had a dark spot on her beak, and she looked like she was The normal female colors, but he definitely looks different. His wings are still iridescent (which is kind of hard to see in the pic).

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
You could ask the breeder if he is a mutation and if so what kind there are so many different colors with the Red Rumps now , and also what he will look like at maturity . Mine are not Mutations.

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
You could ask the breeder if he is a mutation and if so what kind there are so many different colors with the Red Rumps now , and also what he will look like at maturity . Mine are not Mutations.
Okay, I'll be sure to ask. Thank you!
Also, just a question about red rumps, do they talk or repeat? I know they have the ability to, but do yours show any interest in repeating anything?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Okay, I'll be sure to ask. Thank you!
Also, just a question about red rumps, do they talk or repeat? I know they have the ability to, but do yours show any interest in repeating anything?
I've had them about a year , still just learning about them myself. They have melodious sounds . I notice they like to imitate the wild song birds outside. I don't no about talking yet. :unsure:

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
I've had them about a year , still just learning about them myself. They have melodious sounds . I notice they like to imitate the wild song birds outside. I don't no about talking yet. :unsure:
Alright :0
Great! Thank you!
I just brought him home a few hours ago, and he's still kind of adjusting. Hoping I can get him more comfortable soon! Thanks for all the advice, and I'll probably make another post about him later :)