• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my pigeon eggbound?

BakaRikki

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys,

I’m starting to get really worried cause my pigeon has recently laid an egg 2 days ago and her second egg was meant to be due today, but she hasn’t laid it yet... she also doesn’t seem to be interested in her first egg (she laid it under my cupboard so I moved it to where she usually lays her eggs and now she refuses to sit on it). I’m really worried that she might be eggbound cause I didn’t think she’d lay and only just began to provide her calcium liquid in her water the day she laid her first egg... what should I do? Should I wait to see if she lays the the second egg tomorrow (third day since the first egg) or should I call the vet instead?

Thank you and I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Ps: she seems to be eating (I checked her crop) and she seems to be drinking too (her water has decreased the last I checked). She doesn’t seem to be walking weirdly and she is flying. It’s weird cause she sits next to the nest but not in it... I’m so confused

The picture is of her first egg that was laid 2 days ago

Attachments

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
To be on the safe Side I would call my vet

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is this the first time she has laid an egg? If not, does she always lay two?
Can you see visual signs that she actually is about to lay? (a bump near cloaca)

How is she acting? Lethargic? Extra fluffed up?

I’m really worried that she might be eggbound cause I didn’t think she’d lay and only just began to provide her calcium liquid in her water the day she laid her first egg...
Inspecting the first egg may give you a little reassurance. Calcium deficiency will sometimes be visual; odd marks/bumps in the egg, odd size, odd shape, thin shell.

@Birdbabe @Sodapop&Co.

BakaRikki

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Can you see visual signs that she actually is about to lay? (a bump near cloaca)

Inspecting the first egg may give you a little reassurance. Calcium deficiency will sometimes be visual; odd marks/bumps in the egg, odd size, odd shape, thin shell.

@Birdbabe @Sodapop&Co.
this is her second time laying.The first time, she laid two, all on the correct days. When I inspected this egg, there was a singular small bump on it. I think her second egg from the first time she laid also had a singular bump on it too. The shell seems fine and the size of the egg overall seems normal. So it’s just that one tiny bump..

she seems to be acting fine, but she’s oddly quite. She sometimes gives me a few calls and a bit of a wing shake when she sees me but that’s it. She still flies around, eats and drinks. Her poops are milky coloured which was similar to when she laid for the first time BUT this time, he egg poops and not big at all... they’re small and isn’t abnormally large like it should be... she isn’t acting lethargic and isn’t all fluffed up

BakaRikki

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
O

@Birdbabe @Sodapop&Co.
About the cloaca question, I’m not 100% sure, but when I touched her cloaca/vent area, it seemed lifted? Im not sure if the bone is meant to be like that or it really is lifted. From just looking at her, nothing seems to be pushing against her cloaca

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I experienced this with a button quail, but we had the signs - slow and droopy wings. I felt near her vent area and felt the egg. I gave epison salt baths, warm heated area and periodically gave her sips of water with apple sauce and bone powder. With a glob of organic coconut oil I gently rubbed her vent in a circular motion. This done with no pressure- the hope is you get some oil in. She eventually laid the egg. The egg was bigger than her normal egg and the shell was soft. I had switched brands of their calcium supplements now back to the original. This happened during the weekend and a avian vet was not available.

BakaRikki

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I experienced this with a button quail, but we had the signs - slow and droopy wings. I felt near her vent area and felt the egg. I gave epison salt baths, warm heated area and periodically gave her sips of water with apple sauce and bone powder. With a glob of organic coconut oil I gently rubbed her vent in a circular motion. This done with no pressure- the hope is you get some oil in. She eventually laid the egg. The egg was bigger than her normal egg and the shell was soft. I had switched brands of their calcium supplements now back to the original. This happened during the weekend and a avian vet was not available.
thank you so much for telling me your experience with eggbound! I’ll definitely keep that in mind just in case things go downhill (hopefully not)! I just saw her eat and drink just now, so that’s a good sign. She’s also currently preening. One of my biggest worries is that her “egg pops” are regular sized. They aren’t humongous like they should be... I’m scared that, that may be a sign that the egg is blocking the majority of the poop from coming out

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
If the eggs is blocking anything you should be able to feel it. Is her poop not normal?

BakaRikki

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
If the eggs is blocking anything you should be able to feel it. Is her poop not normal?
so this morning, she seems to be having normal poops. Maybe shes only having one egg this time? I really don’t want to risk it being eggbound tho...

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don’t have any experience with this, but if you are seriously worried please call your vet. Better safe than sorry.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
If she’s eating, drinking and pooping normal to me it doesn’t seem like she is egg bound. You know your bird best. I second BudgieLuv3! Better safe

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sometimes they only lay one, and,,they dont sit for a few days,,is her vent area " poofed"? Can you feel gently? You'll feel it, if its low enough..keep watching her, hydration and calcium right now..