• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

is my new conure in trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbsmomto1

Strolling the yard
Picked up a YSGCC yesterday...he was pretty quiet yesterday but today he is making these funny noises. He is eating on his own, but I gave him a handfeed this morning just b/c and he ate some of it. So I don't think its an ''I'm hungry and ya better feed right now darn it" noise, but I just wanted to see what people who know better than I think. If its not a hungry noise do you know is it a bad noise?? If you speak conure can you translate please.

Sorry I forgot to post a link to the noise.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/beaniebabysmommy/?action=view&current=Picture028-1.flv

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh he's is just adorable and he still is a baby. I would continue to handfeed him if he will take it.

Has he been to the vet for a check over?

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is he pooing, preening and perching okay?

Ginger

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
What an adorable baby! The little peeps he makes are so cute. I'm not fluent on baby conure speak so I can't help translate, sorry. But it won't hurt him to continue to hand feed him if he'll take it. He sure is a cutie. Wishing you the best with him. Can't wait to see more pics and video's of your baby.

Jbsmomto1

Strolling the yard
Oh he's is just adorable and he still is a baby. I would continue to handfeed him if he will take it.

Has he been to the vet for a check over?

Ginger
No, he has not, the vet is booked up until April, its theonly avian vet that is fairly close to me and they work with the Guelph uni so they are busy. I will handfeed him until he refuses (a) I love doing it and B) it makes him feel good I think, and it won't hurt him. So why not? lol
Is he pooing, preening and perching okay?

Ginger
Yep all seems well in that area, he does perch quite well, but he also seems to really enjoy the bottom of the cage, in the corner, which freaked me out at first but its a new cage and such for him. 1 perch is done really low and the others are at varying heights.
What an adorable baby! The little peeps he makes are so cute. I'm not fluent on baby conure speak so I can't help translate, sorry. But it won't hurt him to continue to hand feed him if he'll take it. He sure is a cutie. Wishing you the best with him. Can't wait to see more pics and video's of your baby.
thank you, he is pretty stinking cute eh? lol

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Are you in Canada?

Ginger

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
OK so I'm certainly not the expert. However what I see is a pretty puffed up conure who sounds a little like he has a resperatory infection. being in the corner at the bottom of the cage is not normal behavior for any weaned or partially weaned bird. If he is old enough to be up in the cage and sold he should be UP in the cage. It is in my personal opinion that you need to get him to a vet as soon as possible.

Jbsmomto1

Strolling the yard
OK so I'm certainly not the expert. However what I see is a pretty puffed up conure who sounds a little like he has a resperatory infection. being in the corner at the bottom of the cage is not normal behavior for any weaned or partially weaned bird. If he is old enough to be up in the cage and sold he should be UP in the cage. It is in my personal opinion that you need to get him to a vet as soon as possible.

hmm ok, I will call and tell them that he must be seen tomorrow. However I think its the paper he likes thats down there, he likes to chew it up lol. He also doesn't sound like he is having breathing issues, no tail bobbing etc etc, he just beeps lol.

ETA: He was puffed up in the video because I had just earthquaked my hand b/c he was biting me. I cut out most of teh viseo so noone would get bored with watching everything else till he beeped

Last edited:

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
My conure baby. Alec, also a YSGCC freaked out and ran over to the screen and started desperately trying to get at your baby. Aros made that same beeping noise when he wasn't feeling well. I guess my main concern is how puffed up the baby is and the sitting in the corner. what kind of paper is it?

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I agree with Erica you need to find a vet ASAP even if it is not an avian vet. Being puffed up like that is not normal, and his eyes look like he just doesn't feel good. It bothers me that his tail is hanging straight down when you are holding him on your hand. The sounds he is making to me sound very strained. Wanting to be on the bottom of the cage in the corner is usually never a good sign. Please get him seen soon.

Jbsmomto1

Strolling the yard
it's just plain old regular newsprint. Nothing even typed on it.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I have to agree with the "to the vet" gang. During my days breeding, I bred/raised many GCC's and do not ever remember hearing that chirpy sound before. In addition the to fluffed feathers and drooping tail, his eyes concern me, he has that stressed/unwell look in his eyes, half hooded lids, rather than the alert, energetic look that is typical with these guys.

I agree, off to the vet you go, ASAP.

Last edited:

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Perfect way to describe the eyes Shelly! I just couldn't think how to say it exactly! Good job.

Jbsmomto1

Strolling the yard
ok, just called the vet they are going to come in and wait for us to get there and have a look at him.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Good job. You are to be commended for getting right to it. Good luck and keep us posted.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I was going to say something similar
the noises is not the normal "static" cry of a hungry baby, the eyes don't look clear - look kinda watery, and the lil' guy is all puffed up even being a baby that shouldn't be seen a lot.

I hope the vet visit goes well

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
I hope the vet visit goes well. Please keep us posted. If you need help or advice let us know. Medicating baby birds is fortunately easier than medicating full grown birds. you can mix in medication with hand feeding formula. Just make sure you give a very small portion of formula and mix the dose in with the small portion and get him to take the whole thing. That's what I do for Alec... he is never the wiser thank god.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I agree with Erica you need to find a vet ASAP even if it is not an avian vet. Being puffed up like that is not normal, and his eyes look like he just doesn't feel good. It bothers me that his tail is hanging straight down when you are holding him on your hand. The sounds he is making to me sound very strained. Wanting to be on the bottom of the cage in the corner is usually never a good sign. Please get him seen soon.
^^^Definately this. The puffed up part didnt concern me too much until I saw his eyes. His eyes look unclear like Kelli was saying and hes definately got that "i dont feel good" look. Poor baby!! Good luck and keep us updated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.