• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is My Linnie Healthy and Am I Doing Anything Wrong?

LyKanix

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Logan
Hello,

I have a pet Linnie named Nico. He is 2 years old and turquoise in coloration. I cut up and feed him fruits and veggies when I wake up and then put seed in at 3pm (Is this good?). Currently he is on the thin side because I just moved and haven't had the chance to go to the store with the virus going on to get him different types of food, which is causing him to eat less fresh food and wait until he gets his seed. If I put the seed in at the same time as the rest of his food I doubt he would eat anything but it. Currently, I am feeding him a mix of apples, blueberries, spinach, and carrots (and he also doesn't like cucumber and celery), but will give him various other things as soon as I go to the store. I have one main concern with him which is that his pupils are partially white/grey. Could this be a sign of partial blindness? He can see my finger and fluffs up when I go to scratch him. He also can fly across rooms and used to fly from his cage up to the top of my bunk bed to cuddle in the blankets. He even got defensive when my sister was picking out a conure and flew across the room to attack them. Even though he is not blind right now, could his sight get worse? Or is this some other kind of disease? Also I have heard that Linnies are unlike most other birds and I can say from experience that that is true. My bird loves to cuddle and gets easily scared of things he hasn't seen before. He even has a set bed time at night where he will start biting and get grumpy to get me to take him back to his cage. Anyways, I just wanted to post this to ask anyone else that has owned a Linnie if I am doing a good job and to see if anything is out of the ordinary. Pictures will be attached and not all of them are recent. Picture of him with the apple and the red den is the earliest one which I'm pretty sure was taken on the day I got him.
IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0231.JPG IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0025.JPG

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
He's so cute!

Does he get pellets in his diet at all?

@NorthernGannet @Dona @Leih

I got a linnie 3 days ago today, so can't really comment on how good a job you are doing. I would say pretty well!

Welcome to AA by the way!

LyKanix

Real Name
Logan
Thanks, he gets regular seed, sunflower seed, the big red pellets, the little multicolor pellets, and herb salad from my local bird farm. Unfortunately because of the move he only currently has seed and the red pellets.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thanks, he gets regular seed, sunflower seed, the big red pellets, the little multicolor pellets, and herb salad from my local bird farm. Unfortunately because of the move he only currently has seed and the red pellets.
Ok, that's great. He sounds fine diet wise.

So are there any other reasons you think he may have partial blindness, or just the slight colour change in the eyes?

LyKanix

Real Name
Logan
Just the slight color change in the eyes.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Some birds naturally change eye colour, particularly budgies that I know of.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure on linnies. Hopefully someone else will be online to help out soon.

@Kiwi's Mom look, cute linnie pics

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nico is so handsome! I don't have any experience with the eye change, but I think @Matto has a blind Linnie. Maybe he can chime in to say how his bird's eyes look. On YouTube there is a woman who owns Linnies and one is blind. She goes by loveofpets I believe.

I feed Gigi (2 1/2 years old) soft cooked food in morning like peas, corn, green beans, carrots, Roudybush pellets 24/7 and a Nutriberry in the afternoon, sometimes a little something from our dinner. She isn't as adventurous with food as most Linnies. It takes her a loooonnnng time to try anything new. She is a big hardy Linnie at 52-54 grams.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Doesn't seem to be as blind as mine, he was born with cataracts and has never been able to navigate flying well. In fact, he'll cry out for us even if we're 2 feet away until we say something, then fly directly into our faces. As long as he isn't having problems navigating it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Just make sure he is getting all his nutrition. That might mean cutting back on the fruit and introducing more leafy greens.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Birds can develop cataracts. There are surgeons who will operate on their tiny little eyes to replace their lenses but it's very expensive and imo a risk not worth taking if the bird is happy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I am no expert on Linnie care, but it seems to me that you would want him to eat the seeds and pellets before 3:00 because it seems like he would be hungry. Veggies are nutritious, but don’t have many calories or protein. Fruits are high in sugar. You might want to add some grains and make sure he eats a good portion of his diet from the pellets, in addition to the veggies and seeds. You should also get a scale and weigh him daily. If you think he has become skinny, it’s better than he eat the seeds than be hungry. The hunger can make him cranky too.