• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my home a safe and healthy place for a bird?

Kascry

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I live in a studio apartment (single room w/ small bathroom, bedroom size, no upstairs) that allows any pets, however, the place can sometimes have random fire alarm drills or neighbors fighting, so i'm worried it may be too noisy for a bird to be comfortable.
If the noise isn't an issue, i was planning to get a large cage and allow the bird to free fly the apartment (after bird-proofing it) almost daily.
I've mostly decided that i shouldn't own a bird here, but i figured i should ask the bird community their opinion first!
If this is a safe place for a bird, what species would you recommend? I'd prefer a smaller bird that can't be too loud, like a cockatiel or a parrotlet, though i'd like to hear others opinions!

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
A parrotlet is a perfect apartment bird!
I have one and even her loudest doesn't go through walls lol.

Kascry

Checking out the neighborhood
A parrotlet is a perfect apartment bird!
I have one and even her loudest doesn't go through walls lol.
i've been mostly considering one of those, i think my biggest concern is how loud our fire alarm is, since it goes off decently often, i guess i'll just have to see how life goes

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies hear the fire alarm tested monthly. They don't like it, but nor do they die of fright.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
If it's a studio, it must have a small kitchen built inside? In that case I would worry about fumes from cooking/cooker and pots.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
The night I brought my budgies home, the fire alarm went off (it had been malfunctioning and sometimes going off if the oven was opened). They were still in the carrier, stressed out from the long trip home, in a brand new environment, but they were still okay. So I don't think the fire alarm will be a problem for you.