• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my Green Cheek Conure excessively dependant on me?

Mahdis

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mahdis
Hello everyone. So it's been a month that I got my beautiful GCC. He has bonded with me really well. But he won't stay alone for a second. His cage is in the living room. For example when I want to go to my room to bring something(it won't even take 1 minute), he will scream and he won't stop till I go to his cage. I like being with him but he won't stay alone for a second. Is it normal or is he too dependant on me? I'm a first time parrot owner so I've got a lot to learn. Also to add that he is 5 months year old. Thanks in advance.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you go to his cage when he is screaming for you then he will learn this is the best way to get you to go to him. They learn real fast what makes us react and do things ;)

I completely ignore my bird if he screams, if he calls nicely for me when he can not see me I respond to him but not if he is is screaming his head off. He gets nothing from me if he screams, not a single reaction- I do not change a thing I am doing, I pretend like I can not hear it and he is not there and I only pay him attention when he is making acceptable sounds. When he really wants me when he can not get to me he will make a range of nice sounds or say hello, mum?, want a kiss or a heap of any other pleasant or funny things- he has learned he always gets attention when he makes happy sounds and he gets no input of any sort if he screams. He spends a fair bit of time on his own where he can usually hear me but not see me and he might call out to me once or twice and I call back to let him know I am not far away and all is fine and quiet again after that.

Sweetbeaks

Meeting neighbors
I have also noticed the conure species is a wee bit Velcro ,what has worked for me is a routine now she knows I set her up hide stuff all over give sweet kisses tell what I’m doin everytime and that I will be back and not to worry go play , have fun. That is after some major quality time. I get from around 10:30 to 12:00 where she is content to play and knows what’s going on . took a while I did not respond to any screaming during that time and tried to leave her alone. She is much better and more confident and the time frame has become less important. I have found that Later sometimes she prefers to go play instead of do chores with me Now . I love conures ,such intelligent sweet hearts