• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my family bird getting too fat?

wizerdspel

Sitting on the front steps
I will provide an image of him. He's looking a bit on the plumper side. I have been training him and feeding him nutriberries and pumpkin seeds as treats, but I might be giving him too many. (For any of you wondering, were prob gonna get his beak trimmed soon, so don't worry :D )
2022-10-28 20.38.13.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's very handsome! It's hard to tell from just a pic though if he's overweight. Are you able to weigh him on a scale? Zons are one of the species prone to being perch potatoes and gaining lots of weight. Does he let you touch him? Can you feel his keel bone or is it padded in fat?

I'm not sure if he has other perches in the cage that we can't see but if he only has what look like dowels(but perhaps its a different type of straight natural wood) I'd like to respectfully mention that they can cause sores from being so smooth and rounded so its good to have a wide variety of different types and sizes of natural perches so he can exercise his feet and be more able to grip different textures and sizes like he would flying in the wild.

I know some folks still use dowels to be able to have a perch that spans the whole cage but they will wrap it in vet wrap to make it softer and better on their feet.

I'd be careful of that toy next to him as well with all the dangling chain. Birds are unfortunately so prone to getting into mischief with even the safest of toys.

I hope this didn't come off as rude or judging that's absolutely not my intent at all especially since you just asked about his weight.

If you have other perches then please disregard that part of the post. Like folks always say you can't see it all from just a single picture so you never know what the rest of the cage looks like :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Definitely best to check weight and keel bone rather than judge weight by looks alone. I was told by a few people that my 2 looked fat when he was seriously emaciated- them feathers can hide the truth!

You may also find if your little one has some good enticing wood toys to chew on he may well wear much of that beak down himself by chewing- there may be chew toys out of the pic so please ignore my comment if there are. :)

Such a pretty guy :heart: