• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Is my dove sick??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvianAquatics

Moving in
I only had him for 3 days and there aren't many dove articles on the web so I don't know if this is "normal behavior for him"

What he does is he seems always sleeping. He would sit on his perch and close his eyes and seems to just nap, even when I go near and stare at him he would just look back and 10secs later goes back to sleep. He doesn't fluff up his feathers and poo is solid but the dark part is green colored (don't know if this is normal or not). I haven't seen him do this since he looked pretty alert on Friday when I got him, but then again I wasn't home half the day on Sat cause I was working. He's came from an outside aviary and is 3 month old, according to breeder.
And when he's not sleepy he's most of the time grooming... so much feathers...

If you guys think he is sick I would take him to the vet, but right now I don't want to do that cause I don't want to stress him then he already is, so what do you guys think is going on?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong to me. Is he in a cage? Doves are pretty calm birds, especially if he isn't in a large flight or aviary where he has room to fly. If he is cooing at all, he is probably okay. Is he eating okay?

3 month
Oh and still occasionally do a few coo here and there

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He may be stressed due to his move to a new home. Keep an eye out for tail bobbing, labored breathing and funny poops. Green is normal from a seed diet. Doves are quiet and calm, mine will lay around all day long and preen and sleep. If you feel somethings not right then take him in. Doves are picky, they will fling seed eveywhere to find theyre favorites. Keep us posted.

AvianAquatics

Moving in
Almost a week now...
Well he still acts funny... In the mornings I would let him out and he would fly around the room and curiously checks out all over the place and then naps. After sometime I would put him back to his cage and he would continue to nap! Nothing seems to change much but I'll take him to the vet soon as part of the new bird check up. Hopefully nothing bad happens before then :(

Status
Not open for further replies.