• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my conure bathing too much?

Asula

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Madilyn
My conure bathes every day. Usually that's fine but lately im noticing her feathers are looking fringed and a bit on the down side. It's only her wing and back feathers.
So, I'm wondering if it's because shes bathing too much or if it's some kind of vitamin deficiency? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Flynn

Strolling the yard
Hmm. I'm sure if it was related to bathing all of her feathers would be affected. I do note that it does look like there's a little bit of chewing/destruction on the back feathers, which might be what you see when you describe it as fringed, which can be caused by boredom, stress, and a bunch of other things. However I'm not an expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Best of luck :)

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
I believ gcc love water. I can’t keep my little guy out of it. If I he sun’s shinning and the water in his bowl is deep- he’s in it! :yahoo:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So, I'm wondering if it's because shes bathing too much or if it's some kind of vitamin deficiency? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It's got nothing to do with bathing. There is usually room for improvement where diet is concerned. What is the diet? Mostly what you're looking at is bronzing/wear and tear from having to live in a cage.

Asula

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Madilyn
Her diet is a conure mix (sunflower seeds, safflower, different seeds, and bigger pellets) and I also include smaller Zupreme pellets because she has a hard time with the larger ones. I also occasionally feed her fruit and veggies, about twice a week. She usually wakes up at 6:45/7:00 and goes to bed at 7:00pm. She's not in the cage too much. When im at school my mom lets her out for around 2/3 hours and when I get home at 3:00 she's let out until bed time

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does she have a tent or toy that she is sleeping in or next to?

That is not related to bathing :) But it does look like she is rubbing up against something. How old is she? Babies also tend to play rough!

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Nothing to do with bathing, he seems to be barbering his feathers. A lot of things lead to barbering, anxiety, not enough time out of the cage, not enough opportunity to forage

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
What about toys? Are there a ton of toys in the cage? Especially wooden and cardboard or seagrass or vine. Stuff to chew up and destroy. They gotta use their beak on something.

Now, Farlie will sometimes bathe up to 3 times a day so, no, your bird is not bathing too much nor is bathing the problem.

Last edited: