• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is my cockatiel sick? and if so is she deadly

seepbuddy

Moving in
Hello my cockatiel starting making weird noises and her voice changed 4 days ago, we took her to the vet yesterday and he said that shes sick but it isnt a deadly one and gave us something to put in her water, i want confirmation because i dont really think vets are great in my town, keep in mind that shes 8 weeks old
heres a video of her, atm shes just making these weird sounds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That is a young bird begging for a feed. She does not want seed, she wants to be fed by her ¨mum¨ (you).

Do you have some formula there? or pellets you can soften? If not, mashed cooked sweet potato. Offer the foods slightly warm and on a small metal spoon.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So you have had her since she was 5 weeks old? She is now 8 weeks old? And she was weaned when you got her or you hand fed her for the last three weeks? Is she eating formula or pellets or just seed?

Give some more background and I will tag some others who have raised babies.

@Zara @Tara81 @Mockinbirdiva

seepbuddy

Moving in
A
That is a young bird begging for a feed. She does not want seed, she wants to be fed by her ¨mum¨ (you).

Do you have some formula there? or pellets you can soften? If not, mashed cooked sweet potato. Offer the foods slightly warm and on a small metal spoon.
Alright ill try that, so you think she is not sick?

seepbuddy

Moving in
So you have had her since she was 5 weeks old? She is now 8 weeks old? And she was weaned when you got her or you hand fed her for the last three weeks? Is she eating formula or pellets or just seed?

Give some more background and I will tag some others who have raised babies.

@Zara @Tara81 @Mockinbirdiva
I Think? i wasn't there when my family got her, but shes around 8 weeks I'm sure, but from the start she always ate on her own (or at least our start with her..) shes eating seeds at the moment, and we give her some lettuce too as its the only veg she likes to eat (don't worry I'm trying other vegs and fruits)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Offering the foods mentioned on the spoon as comfort feeding with them make her more inclined to try new foods afterwards. So do the comfort feeding, then offer her a small bowl of mixed veggies with some seed sprinkled on top, see if she tries something new :)

I would also recommend weighing her AM and PM to keep a log of her progress and to be sure she doesn´t lose weight.

so you think she is not sick?
From that noise alone, I don´t think so. But when bringing a new bird home, a vet visit is always recommended so that they can check the bird is healthy.

seepbuddy

Moving in
Offering the foods mentioned on the spoon as comfort feeding with them make her more inclined to try new foods afterwards. So do the comfort feeding, then offer her a small bowl of mixed veggies with some seed sprinkled on top, see if she tries something new :)

I would also recommend weighing her AM and PM to keep a log of her progress and to be sure she doesn´t lose weight.

From that noise alone, I don´t think so. But when bringing a new bird home, a vet visit is always recommended so that they can check the bird is healthy.
Good point... we got her from another city and basically my parents believe whatever the seller says about the health of the bird (which can be lies), I will be taking her and my other budgies for a check next week tho ^^ , in a bigger city where vets are pretty good

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you can get some baby bird formula that would be best. Her little body needs the nourishment. At this age they look like they're eating but they spend so much time nibbling I'm not sure they get a lot from their food. The foods @Zara mentioned are great, and you can soak millet to make it easier to eat.

Right now let her eat as much as she wants - any thing that she'll take is good. Except lettuce, that makes her poo runny so not too much lettuce.

seepbuddy

Moving in
If you can get some baby bird formula that would be best. Her little body needs the nourishment. At this age they look like they're eating but they spend so much time nibbling I'm not sure they get a lot from their food. The foods @Zara mentioned are great, and you can soak millet to make it easier to eat.

Right now let her eat as much as she wants - any thing that she'll take is good. Except lettuce, that makes her poo runny so not too much lettuce.
alright thanks a lot, will take note, what vegs or fruits do you recommend ?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is definitely hungry. You need to get her some hand feeding formula and, since you probably have no experience hand feeding, use a spoon to feed and make sure you follow all of the directions regarding temperature and amount of water to add to the mix. You can get some pellets for cockatiels, too, and soften and moisten them with warm water and see if she will eat those. Offer her cooked veggies such as carrots, peas, corn, etc. You can also offer small pieces of fruit: apples and pear for example. Remove the skin. Lettuce (if it is iceberg) is mainly water and doesn't have much in the way of nutrients.
Continue to offer her the seeds, too, as well as millet.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
You can cook big batches of mashed veges (brocolli/kale/boy choy/collard greens/carrots/greenbeans/peppers/califlower all good options) mix with cooked quinoa , portion, freeze extra portions, and offer a portion every day. At night put the vege mash portion in the fridge to unthaw, then , microwave for 3-5 seconds, finger check warmth so no hotspots, then offer it during the day in an extra food bowl and / or from a spoon. it should last 2-3 months in the freezer if you drain a bit before freezing.

Also you should get formula , read instructions, (thickness / temperature / feeding amounts) and weigh your bird daily. If it loses weight you may want to bring it back to the breeder / store and ask them to take care of it until its eating on its own again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Forgot to add that you should weigh your cockatiel every day, generally after the first AM poop. Whenever you do weigh it's a good idea to keep that time of weighing fairly consistent. If you don't have one get a digital gram scale, one that has a tare function and can weigh in grams. Keep a log of the daily weights so you can monitor.