• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my cockatiel about to lay eggs?

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
The past two nights around 6pm, Moki has been quietly sitting with her tail a little bent down. She has been trying to shred tissues and she’s been looking for a nest (I guess) I try to stop this behavior as much as I can and I put her to sleep for around 14 hours a night recently.

I will make an appointment with the vet but while it’s night time I thought I’d come on here and see if this looks like egg laying posture or sick. She is almost 2 years old andhas only done this the past two nights. Otherwise happy and normal.

Attachments

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Is she on her own or around other birds?

Don't let her have access to dark hide holes. Don't let her shred nesting material.

Rearrange her cage. Birds don't want to breed in an unfamiliar environment.

If she is producing eggs please make sure you supplement her diet cos even if the eggs are infertile her body is being depleted of calcium and other nutrients.

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
She is the only bird. She hasn’t produced any eggs yet I’m not even sure if she is going to.. does that posture look like she’s making an egg? I searched google for pregnant cockatiels and only found cockatiels actively laying which she isn’t doing so hoping someone here with experience can help.

I’ll also have to figure out what food to supplement.. I have no idea. She has a cuttlebone and calcium perch she does chew on a bit.

It was just strange to see her sit like that all of the sudden I didn’t know if she was sick or what.

Is she on her own or around other birds?

Don't let her have access to dark hide holes. Don't let her shred nesting material.

Rearrange her cage. Birds don't want to breed in an unfamiliar environment.

If she is producing eggs please make sure you supplement her diet cos even if the eggs are infertile her body is being depleted of calcium and other nutrients.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
When my single hen is getting ready to lay, that is the same posture she takes.

But she’s only ever in that position for 20-30 minutes, then she passes the egg and all goes back to normal. Normal as in..she lays on the highest perch available. Mimi’s truly like nature’s birth control, lol.

+ a good way to supplement her diet right now is with Egg Food or plain scrambled eggs, with crushed eggshell. Helps to replenish their calcium supply and it’s a good source of protein.

It’s concerning that yours has been for two days, though. How’s her breathing? Does she show signs of straining? Anything swollen near her vent?

What’s her diet like, and how much exercise does she get?

I ask because cockatiels who are on a seed-only diet and don’t fly regularly are at an increased chance of egg binding.

Keep a close eye and bring her in if she doesn’t pass an egg soon. Wishing her the best!

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
She hadnt sat like that since Saturday I thought i was in the clear. Just now though she started going into labor I think. Its been 30 minutes of pushing and shes now taking a break. She looks tired. I have to admit Im worried. I would say breathing is harder than usual. She is only in ber cage for sleep and gets harrisons pellets and carious veggies along with seed and millet.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I don't know how it is for cockatiels, but for chickens, it will usually only take 15-30 minutes to pass an egg. If it is taking longer than that and your bird is distressed, I think an emergency vet visit is in order. She could be egg-bound.

Symptoms of egg-binding include thr following:
  • Rapid or labored breathing
  • Swelling
  • Constipation
  • Fluffed-up feathers
  • Straining
  • Sitting on the cage floor
  • Drooping of the wings
  • Lameness
  • Loss of appetite

Keep in mind, birds do not get pregnant or go into labor. They form an egg and pass it immediately. Eggs are not intended to remain inside of the hen. The entire process takes around twenty four hours, with most of that time spend on forming the egg shell. Passing the egg should not take significant time or effort, if everything goes well.

The vet can check if your bird has an egg and if it is stuck, they can help remove it safely.

Last edited:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Good luck and hope everything goes well.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I hope everything goes smoothly! She’s in my thoughts.

Gladriele

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Genevieve
Did everything go okay? How is she?

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Hope she’s okay… Do keep us updated. She’s in my prayers.

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
My female tiel is going through the same thing. I believe it is the season for laying eggs. I was advised that its perfectly normal but to be mindful of the color, shape, and durability of the egg. Any abnormalities can mean a deficiency somewhere. Just be sure to keep a mineral block along with a cuddlebone for her.

richietiel

Meeting neighbors
How is she doing? Egg binding can be life-threatening so I hope she is better now!!:sad4:

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Sorry I forgot to update! She had to have the egg popped and removed. The vet said it was so big and round there was no way she'd ever be able to get it out herself. I feel so bad for her. Sent me home with antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and calcium. 3 days after she was quiet and sleepy but now she is back to her old self. Today though she threw up, which was odd to me I didnt even know what was happening. It was clear, mostly water I think. So now I'm on high alert again.
She didnt eat anything weird so, who knows. All I can do is keep an eye on her, if she keeps throwing up back to the vet she goes.

A.K

Good to hear the egg was removed. I hope she stops vomiting, and there’s nothing wrong. Thanks for the update!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I feel so bad for her.
Don´t feel too bad for her, these things do happen and she is lucky she has you taking good care of her and getting her to the vet quickly.
Similar thing happened with my youngest hen, she was able to pass a slightly larger than usual egg but had nerve damage and vet gave her the same meds as your girl.
I hope the vomiting has stopped and she will be ok, I´ll keep my fingers crossed for her :hug9:

My female tiel is going through the same thing.
Instead of cuttlefish bone, you may want to look into pellets or a supplement.
Here is a good write up if you want to read more about the complications that egg laying can cause;

LoveToki

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zee
Thank you all, I'm very grateful for this forum you all ease my mind and give good advice. :)

Vomiting stopped after that one day, no idea what caused it but she is back to normal. Phew!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she´s doing ok! :)

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
Don´t feel too bad for her, these things do happen and she is lucky she has you taking good care of her and getting her to the vet quickly.
Similar thing happened with my youngest hen, she was able to pass a slightly larger than usual egg but had nerve damage and vet gave her the same meds as your girl.
I hope the vomiting has stopped and she will be ok, I´ll keep my fingers crossed for her :hug9:

Instead of cuttlefish bone, you may want to look into pellets or a supplement.
Here is a good write up if you want to read more about the complications that egg laying can cause;
Thanks. I will read the write up. My Tiel got back from the vet and all is well. He advised to use blackout curtains and possibly seperate her from the male even though they are not mating

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Thanks. I will read the write up. My Tiel got back from the vet and all is well. He advised to use blackout curtains and possibly seperate her from the male even though they are not mating
Cool!