• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my cockatiel about to lay eggs?

TessaG

Meeting neighbors
When my single hen is getting ready to lay, that is the same posture she takes.

But she’s only ever in that position for 20-30 minutes, then she passes the egg and all goes back to normal. Normal as in..she lays on the highest perch available. Mimi’s truly like nature’s birth control, lol.

+ a good way to supplement her diet right now is with Egg Food or plain scrambled eggs, with crushed eggshell. Helps to replenish their calcium supply and it’s a good source of protein.

It’s concerning that yours has been for two days, though. How’s her breathing? Does she show signs of straining? Anything swollen near her vent?

What’s her diet like, and how much exercise does she get?

I ask because cockatiels who are on a seed-only diet and don’t fly regularly are at an increased chance of egg binding.

Keep a close eye and bring her in if she doesn’t pass an egg soon. Wishing her the best!
I second egg food, or the crushed boiled egg & shell...some birds won't eat the wet egg, if she won't, go for the egg food. You can add supplements such as a powdered calcium lactate with D3 and magnesium supplement, however, it works best if mixed with water, and the water will need to be changed daily anyway, so I tend to offer the egg food to my hens. Cuttlebone isn't readily absorbable, but they do like to chew on it sometimes :) Mineral block is another (additional) option. I'm sure your vet filled you in. So glad she passed the egg with your vet's help - she's got a good mommy!

Last edited: