• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my canary lonely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kim

Meeting neighbors
We found a canary out side and captured it right before the temperatures plumeted last week. He's been to the vet and appears to be healthy. He's in quarentine in the guest room in a nice flight cage that I had. We put up posters and asked the only avian vet in the area if they had heard of any missing canaries, but it looks like we will be keeping it.

I think he is going to live in the guest room permanently and its a room that no one spends all that much time in. I don't want him to be lonely. I read that canaries are solitary and non-monagamous in the wild, but I did notice that when he visited our yard before we caught him, he was always hanging out with the house finches and sparrows. I would just put him in the living room, but I'm afraid the cats would scare him, and the bird room is not an option either for a bunch of reasons.

So, there are a couple options.

- just try to spend more time in there somehow

- turn the room into an exercise room by putting the excerise bike, pilates machine, etc in there--at least that way I'd spend maybe an hour a day there (but convincing my husband that we dont need a guest room is not going to be easy, plus I have no place to put the furniture.)

-get a female canary (he is singing a lot, so he is a male) But, if he gets a mate, he'll stop singing and we kind of are really enjoying the singing.

-Maybe I should talk to a rescue about finding him a home. That way he might end up somewhere really perfect. He is not going anywhere unless its somewhere really great though.

-or maybe even a get a couple of finches. Actually, I've always wanted some finches, and I like the idea of finches the most. I know they can't go right into the same cage right away and will have to be closely watched if they are put in together.

So, will a pair of finches keep the little guy from feeling lonely? Would zebra finches be compatible with a canary? I'm pretty sure I've seen aviaries with both canaries and finches.

Should I leave music playing for him?

Last edited:

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
A pair of society finches would work nicely. They do well with other birds, unlike some other types. Stay away from zebra finches, they can be aggressive towards other birds, unless they are given LOTS of space (like a walk in aviary, ETC)

kim

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, that's good to know, Megan!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
give him some toys..might I suggest a mirror....and by the way they love a variety of goods like broccoli and eggs etc......bless your heart for taking him in...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How wonderful! That is how Kismet came into my life. My dog found him. It was 40 degrees that night. I also posted ads, but did get a response. The woman told me since she could no longer care for him, and he could fly...well she thought he would do just fine on his own.:eek: My mind went blank when she said this. I thanked her and hung up. My Kismet is such a joy! I couldn't imagine life without him now. he serenades us so beautiful. He is soft, sweet, and precious! He enjoys the company, and loves to be spoken to...to which he will happily chirp. I play one of two CD's for him every morning and he sings his heart out.
This might be an option for keeping your bird "company".
Canary Song
Canary Books, DVDs, CDs, and MP3s
We have Classic Canary, and Feathered Phonics.:)

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I love my little Tweety, a male canary. He sings beautifully. Mine doesn't have a mate, but there are other birds in the room with him, a parakeet, a dove and a sunday conure. He loves chopped boiled eggs, broccoli lightly steamed and chopped, and also they love lettuce.

hugatree

Moving in
Real Name
Raul
If you decide to add some finches, let us know how it turns out. I was always told that in a cage, canaries are very territorial and if you were to add birds it should be in a seperate cage. So I'm curious, let me know how it turns out. Good luck.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I know this is an older thread, but here goes--it sounds like he has a perfect home already! I'm so glad youfound this little guy. If you enjoy his song so much, try getting a green singer finch - male, but cage them seperately, as they are very territorial, too. Your house will be filled with song, & they will keep each other company. Green singers & canaries will interbreed, so will be familiar to your canary.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My canaries and society finches live five years together without a problem. Unfortunately, first the cock, then the hen canarie died; both of pneumonia. I tried hard to keep them healthy, but failed. The finches and canaries would take turns eating and bathing, but interacted withone another without violence quite often. After the cock canarie died, one of the larger make society finches tried to court her; she was not interested.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I think a mirror would be great if you don't plan on getting him a buddy for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.