• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my Caique feathers ok?

Pikaigreen

Moving in
1000014743.jpg 1000014748.jpg
Hi,

May I know if my parrot feathers requires immediate attention? I just got him for a week. He had this feathers when I got him and I was thinking if his feathers will be ok after I feed him pellets fruit and vegetables daily.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes thats rough and tumble damage caused by a very active bird in a small space. Maybe damaged while travelling to you? Those feathers take a while to recover after travel in a small box. A month or so should see a big difference. Carrots are great for feathers, and regular misting to encourage preening and the spreading of natural protective oils

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
1670423934411.png

Im just a bit concerned about that "bar" on babys feathers. This can be indicative of a diet deficiency. So lots of carrots and veggies please. I always use a good quality pellet to cover all bases. They waste so much food its often hard to tell what they actually ATE

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I agree with JP but wanted to add that the existing feathers will not change but you will have to wait till he molts and grows new feathers to see stress bars and physical damage go away.
(I'm not sure if you are new to birds)

Pikaigreen

Moving in
Yes thats rough and tumble damage caused by a very active bird in a small space. Maybe damaged while travelling to you? Those feathers take a while to recover after travel in a small box. A month or so should see a big difference. Carrots are great for feathers, and regular misting to encourage preening and the spreading of natural protective oils
He has been living with 2 other birds before we bought him. I will try to give him more carrots too! Really hope he eats and grow well. Thank you!

Pikaigreen

Moving in
View attachment 418809

Im just a bit concerned about that "bar" on babys feathers. This can be indicative of a diet deficiency. So lots of carrots and veggies please. I always use a good quality pellet to cover all bases. They waste so much food its often hard to tell what they actually ATE
I'm suspecting that too as the cage he used to live in has no food when we visit the pet shop. I will try this method!

Pikaigreen

Moving in
I agree with JP but wanted to add that the existing feathers will not change but you will have to wait till he molts and grows new feathers to see stress bars and physical damage go away.
(I'm not sure if you are new to birds)
I'm considered new to birds as I started to own my first 2 birds 4 months ago but their condition was great. Eat well and feathers are beautiful. This is the first time I saw a bird with this kind of feathers and I'm worried for him. I shall wait till he molts and see. Thank you very much!