• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my budgie sick?

Victoria

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ioana Victoria Nedelcu
Hello! So 9 days ago I got my two budgies. The pet shop I got them from offered me a free vet consultation, so the next day I went to the vet and she told me that they are healthy (just that my female budgie is missing her tail, but it's nothing to worry about, cause its going to grow back). A few days ago, I noticed that my female budgie's tail is bobbing up and down quite noticeable (you can see a video of her here) , so I googled it, and I'm worried that she might be sick? I've read that their tails bob when they have respiratory problems, but the vet didn't tell me anything. She doesn't seem sick apart from the tail bobbing, she's eating a lot and chirping and playing. What should I do?

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
I raised budgies for close to 20 years. I usually associate this tail movement with heavy breathing when they are having respiratory complications, fatigue, etc. Budgies are very susceptible to respiratory diseases and disorders. I would check with another vet that was not associated with the place you
purchased your birds.

There are also many herbal remedies for birds. Always remember to use them in moderation to prevent toxicity. Here is one of the web pages that I use for recommendations, but there are many out there.

Herbal Remedies For Parrots - Parrots

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
Hello! So 9 days ago I got my two budgies. The pet shop I got them from offered me a free vet consultation, so the next day I went to the vet and she told me that they are healthy (just that my female budgie is missing her tail, but it's nothing to worry about, cause its going to grow back). A few days ago, I noticed that my female budgie's tail is bobbing up and down quite noticeable (you can see a video of her here) , so I googled it, and I'm worried that she might be sick? I've read that their tails bob when they have respiratory problems, but the vet didn't tell me anything. She doesn't seem sick apart from the tail bobbing, she's eating a lot and chirping and playing. What should I do?
See below.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I personally don't trust those " vets" inside the pet stores, An avian vet should look at her, that's an extreme tail bob, hope she will be ok

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
I personally don't trust those " vets" inside the pet stores, An avian vet should look at her, that's an extreme tail bob, hope she will be ok
Neither do I. I travel for an Avian vet with an actual vet practice.

Victoria

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ioana Victoria Nedelcu
Thank you for the advice! Tomorrow I'm taking her to another vet. Hope everything turns out fine!