• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my budgie scared of the dark?

Tibby_blu

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Elizabeth
Hi, my three month old budgie Taro keeps making these weird chattering noises whenever it's time for bed, I've heard her make the noise before when playing but I don't know if it means different things? If she is afraid of the dark do I keep a small light on? Cause I'm used to sleeping in complete darkness.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You can keep a nightlight on for her if you wish. Even at night the outdoors isn't always totally dark.
I think what you're hearing is the budgie version of evensong. When they settle to sleep in a flick they chatter for a good while until they fall asleep. Some budgies will continue to chatter while they're asleep.

Tibby_blu

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Elizabeth
You can keep a nightlight on for her if you wish. Even at night the outdoors isn't always totally dark.
I think what you're hearing is the budgie version of evensong. When they settle to sleep in a flick they chatter for a good while until they fall asleep. Some budgies will continue to chatter while they're asleep.
Oh I had no idea about that! Thank you!

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I’m used to sleeping in complete dark too, I use Christmas lights and they’re all kept under the blanket so my budgies get the light while I can still have the dark :roflmao:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is it safe to have Christmas lights under a blanket?

My budgies have a nightlight. They had night frights 'till I got one.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Is it safe to have Christmas lights under a blanket?

My budgies have a nightlight. They had night frights 'till I got one.
Well its not completely under the blanket, its where the blanket is folded up a little so the cage still gets air on the inside, but its the opposite side of my bed so I can't see it lol

The blanket doesn't touch the lights :D

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
My birdies had night frights until I got them a night light. When my birds get scared at night they have their feathers pulled tight to themselves, are still and very silent, if they get startled they fly crazy around the cage, so look for body language