• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is my budgie refusing my love?

herakeet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
bird: pat human: aviva
i got my budgie about 3 months ago and she has been trusting and playful. but for the past two or three weeks she has been really standoff-ish i used to have no problem getting her to perch on my finger but whenever i try now she just tries to bite me. if i do get her on my finger and try to pet her, she stays on my finger but scoots away so i cant touch her or pet her. i don't know whats wrong she learned up-up on the first day but now she wont let me touch her. i got my front two hair pieces bleached out and than dyed, but it doesn't make me look that different.

herakeet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
she always used to fly on my head and preen me.

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Did anything else change(her cage, your house, etc.)?

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I think you need to hear what she's trying to tell you. Maybe stop trying to pet her. It can be seen by her as an amorous gesture that she doesn't want. She may also be moulting or going through a hormonal phase. Give her time. Respect her wishes but don't stop offering your hand, just don't force her and stop trying to pet her. You now have a teenager. Give her space...lol. Let her come back to you. She will.

Last edited:

herakeet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
I think you need to hear what she's trying to tell you. Maybe stop trying to pet her. It can be seen by her as an amorous gesture that she doesn't want. She may also be moulting or going through a hormonal phase. Give her time. Respect her wishes but don't stop offering your hand, just don't force her and stop trying to pet her. You now have a teenager. Give her space...lol. Let her come back to you. She will.
Okay i will give her some time and not try to pet her anymore. i'm a first time bird owner so what is molting?

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I agree with Lori, This happened with my parrotlet 3 moths after I brought her home. and I respected her hints and she returned to normal