• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my bird sick?

X.rei

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Iker Abrego
I got a black masked lovebird couple exactly 2 months ago, at first the male had white feathers on its head, at first i thought he was molting but its been 2 months and hasn't changed at all. He also has sort of messed up feathers on the tail. Should i be concerned?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have any photos?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is it just the tail feathers? Parrots, especially young ones, tend to play rougher than they sometimes should, and thus end up with very "messed up" tail feathers. This is more commonly seen in parrots with long tails, but it does happen in all parrots.

X.rei

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Iker Abrego
Is it just the tail feathers?
Mostly yes, but I've noticed some of his face feathers cover his nostrils, which is not the case with my female lovebird. (btw i forgot to add his tail wobbles most of the time, might be 'cause he is still a little scared of me but idk)
Another question, for a few days my bird randomly stands still after seeing (through the blinds) a wild bird fly. He puffs up and does not move no matter what, i can approach with millet and he will not eat it, i can get my hand awkwardly close and he doesn't move, after 10 minutes or so he moves again, but I'm really concerned and don't have a clue what's happening to him.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Another question, for a few days my bird randomly stands still after seeing (through the blinds) a wild bird fly. He puffs up and does not move no matter what, i can approach with millet and he will not eat it, i can get my hand awkwardly close and he doesn't move, after 10 minutes or so he moves again, but I'm really concerned and don't have a clue what's happening to him.
That sounds completely normal to me. It seems that he is merely startled.