• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my bird overwight?

shajeeb

Meeting neighbors
Hello, My 12-week-old male cockatiel currently weighs 97 grams. Is he overweight? He is fully flighted. He flies around in the house all day. Plus he gets some training every day. He is very active, he is always doing something, never sitting still. He is on a 30% pellet 30% seeds mix and 40% veggie diet. He is gaining about 1.5-2.5 grams per week. He looks sinny but he is heavy!

View recent photos.jpg

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Each bird will be unique in their weight, with a range only a min/max average as a reference.

Here's a good source to determine if you're bird is at a healthy weight:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
According to this resource, your handsome guy is within a healthy normal range.

Cockatiel - 5287 samples, 91g mean, 82-100g ±10% range
Determining the normal weight of a bird type is not an exact science. While I can come up with a specific number, there are many other variables to consider.
For example, some individuals are normally large, others are petite. Sometimes there’s a weight difference based on sex or age. There are regional size
differences and subspecies' size variation for some birds. One of these bird types listed (Eclectus parrots) includes all the different species. So the average
(mean) weight presented here is not set in stone. Regardless, I still consider the number presented as accurate, especially when it includes a weight range of
10% on either side of the mean. So, for example, if the mean weight of a Green-Cheeked Conure is 66g, then the normal weight range would be 60 - 72g.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like he at a good weight for him. My three tiels weight about 97,100,and 105 grams, and all are at a healthy weight. Just make sure your bird has access to food all day. What a cutie he is!

shajeeb

Meeting neighbors
According to this resource, your handsome guy is within a healthy normal range.

Cockatiel - 5287 samples, 91g mean, 82-100g ±10% range
Determining the normal weight of a bird type is not an exact science. While I can come up with a specific number, there are many other variables to consider.
For example, some individuals are normally large, others are petite. Sometimes there’s a weight difference based on sex or age. There are regional size
differences and subspecies' size variation for some birds. One of these bird types listed (Eclectus parrots) includes all the different species. So the average
(mean) weight presented here is not set in stone. Regardless, I still consider the number presented as accurate, especially when it includes a weight range of
10% on either side of the mean. So, for example, if the mean weight of a Green-Cheeked Conure is 66g, then the normal weight range would be 60 - 72g.
Thank you!

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Sorry to hijack. But my Tiel was 76grams at the last vet visit. He was 8months at the time. Is he too skinny?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Sorry to hijack. But my Tiel was 76grams at the last vet visit. He was 8months at the time. Is he too skinny?
Check out the link to see how to determine if you're bird is at a healthy weight.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
An quick and easy way to get an idea:

keelbone-illus-2_orig.jpg

More importantly, did your vet express concern with his weight?

I had a green cheek the was perfectly healthy but only 55g! Super small for a green cheek. But that was her normal :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I had a male who was just a few grams over that, and @sunnysmom had a little tiel too. He is probably just naturally on the small size, and I would hope the vet would have mentioned it if they were concerned he was to skinny. As long as he eats a good diet throughout the day it should be okay.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I had a male who was just a few grams over that, and @sunnysmom had a little tiel too. He is probably just naturally on the small size, and I would hope the vet would have mentioned it if they were concerned he was to skinny. As long as he eats a good diet throughout the day it should be okay.
I too think the vet would have mentioned it. To give yourself peace of mind, look at the keel bone chart. Weight obviously depends on the bird's size. Just like a healthy weight for someone who is 6 feet tall is not going to be a good weigh for someone who is 5 feet tall, tiel sizes vary too. I have always had smaller males. My first tiel was between 74-75 grams. The vet said it was healthy weight for him. My 2 guys now are also weigh in the 70s. I never considered them "small' until I saw a female who was around 100 grams. I had to laugh thinking that she would be like an Amazon to my boys. LOL. (Amazon as in female warrior not the bird. ;) )

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
The vet was a loony. She nearly lost one of my budgies out the door after I objected to how she was handling my birds. She told me off and informed me she had studied as much as a human Dr.

It was a sliding door and I was in shock that the vet I trusted had left the exam door open and didn't properly grip my bird. I was too concerned I would injure my little lady so instead of slamming the door shut I waved my hands over my head to get Luna to fly back inside the room and then slid it shut safely. I got scolded by the vet.

She then chased my poor little budgie until she flew into a wall and slid down to the floor. Then my girl was biting the vets shirt in fear trying to escape. So the vet pushed roughly at her little face and told her off. I understand if it was a snapping macaw but no adult should be concerned about a little budgie beak. Come on.

We are all still traumatised. I should visit a vet again at some stage but I am nervous to do so atm

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Sorry that happened.
There are good vets out there, don't become phobic of them.
I understand if it was a snapping macaw but no adult should be concerned about a little budgie beak.
My Military bit one of my vets while he was trying to towel him and I couldn't tell until I saw the blood dripping on the floor (because he was professional enough to not overreact and contain the situation, plus the exam room door was closed).

lobster14

Meeting neighbors
My male cockatiel (5 months) has weighed a pretty steady 86-89 grams since we brought him home at 10 weeks old. Our avian weight said the normal range for a male cockatiel was 80-100 grams. So he's probably OK. Each bird is different though!