• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is my baby budgie anus heathy or something is wrong??

Hendy

Meeting neighbors
I don't really know if my budgie anus look normal or not. It's my first budgie. Is it normal to looks like that bumped out red, or something is wrong? He have lots of energy, if I open my box he climb immediately to reach for my hand and sleep under it, but when on his nest he keep sleeping. And what to use to clean my bird dropping from his anus?? Thank ylu

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No it does not look normal. Let me tag some others to help and move your thread for better coverage.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
No... it definitely isn't normal. Has your budgie had diarrhea and vomiting? ( do you know what normal poop should look like?) When you feel your budgies chest is the center bone ( called the keel) protruding.. as in no fleshy feeling on each side of the bone that might indicate weight loss? Is it eating well still and what are you feeding it? I would say with the bulge and the thick poop surrounding the vent this little budgie has to be seen by a qualified avian veterinarian. Without being seen for medical attention and medications with treatment your budgie will not do well. How old is this baby and are you located in the United States?

Hendy

Meeting neighbors
No... it definitely isn't normal. Has your budgie had diarrhea and vomiting? ( do you know what normal poop should look like?) When you feel your budgies chest is the center bone ( called the keel) protruding.. as in no fleshy feeling on each side of the bone that might indicate weight loss? Is it eating well still and what are you feeding it? I would say with the bulge and the thick poop surrounding the vent this little budgie has to be seen by a qualified avian veterinarian. Without being seen for medical attention and medications with treatment your budgie will not do well. How old is this baby and are you located in the United States?
My budgie is about 26 or 27 days I guess I get from the store about 2 weeks old.he's not vomiting,he's poop have a lot of water maybe because I give him too much water in my formula that I think it's thick enough. I give him food 4 times a day, my formula is kaytee. His weight is 30 grams so I feed him 3-4 ml.Do you want a picture of its poop I will take a picture later, sometimes he burst the poop out. He just ate so I can't know the keel yet because of the crop. I never weight him unless 2 days ago. When I try to give him the syringe he always react and run to it. So yes he's eating well. I cleaned the anus already from the poop I will take a picture later. What I concerned is the why its bulge out. No I'm live in indonesia and my mom is abit hesitate to take him to get because it's a 7 dollar bird and the bill of the vet is 17 dollar or more. I will talk to her later. And I cleaned the nest every 4 or 6 days

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My budgie is about 26 or 27 days I guess I get from the store about 2 weeks old.he's not vomiting,he's poop have a lot of water maybe because I give him too much water in my formula that I think it's thick enough. I give him food 4 times a day, my formula is kaytee. His weight is 30 grams so I feed him 3-4 ml.Do you want a picture of its poop I will take a picture later, sometimes he burst the poop out. He just ate so I can't know the keel yet because of the crop. I never weight him unless 2 days ago. When I try to give him the syringe he always react and run to it. So yes he's eating well. I cleaned the anus already from the poop I will take a picture later. What I concerned is the why its bulge out. No I'm live in indonesia and my mom is abit hesitate to take him to get because it's a 7 dollar bird and the bill of the vet is 17 dollar or more. I will talk to her later. And I cleaned the nest every 4 or 6 days
There's no way any of us can know exactly what is going on with your baby. The bulge is not good and I suspect it's a serious bacterial infection. I understand your mother is hesitant to spend the money but this could be life threatening for this little one without medical help. She needs to understand, just as you do, birds suffer pain the same as humans do. This little bird is dependent on you for it's care, food, and shelter and will be a companion for you for many years if you take care of it well. You may have to find a way to do some small jobs to pay your mother back but it will be worth it ten times over. One thing else... clean that nest every day to keep bacteria from building up and always put fresh clean bedding in when you see it soiled with poop. Yes, do take photos of his poop and his nest... we can advise you on any improvements that may need be. Additional photos of his anus too.

Hendy

Meeting neighbors
This is the photo, I will take a picture of the nest later I waiting for her to poop. And yeah about the tail he fell and broke her tail feathers. Should i cut it?? And one more thing at 1 pm when i clean the poop, the poop dried up when i pick it it's bleed a bit and give a bit of alcohol

Attachments

Hendy

Meeting neighbors
Sry for the blur photo of poop on first i will take a picture again tonight

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is the photo, I will take a picture of the nest later I waiting for her to poop. And yeah about the tail he fell and broke her tail feathers. Should i cut it?? And one more thing at 1 pm when i clean the poop, the poop dried up when i pick it it's bleed a bit and give a bit of alcohol
looking at the posture of your bird on your finger speaks as to how it feels physically. Fluffed up and bent over.... it doesn't feel well at all. I don't see any broken feathers but if there are just leave them alone. There's enough going on with this little one. Please don't put alcohol on anymore. Have you ever put alcohol on a cut in your skin? It's burns and is painful, plus it will dry the fragile skin out. If you have to clean poop off again just use a warm wet paper towel and hold it on the dried poop long enough for it to soften so you can wipe it off.. be gentle when you wipe.. the tissue there is probably very sore. The poop doesn't look bad. It wouldn't hurt to have a Grams stain and culture done on the poop at the vets office. Truely.... the best thing you should do is take your bird to the vet, specifically an avian vet. Write down Grams Stain and culture on fecal matter to remember what should be tested. They may do blood work but your baby might be too sick for that at this point. You should be keeping this little one in a warm container ( 85 degrees) with food and clean water available all the time.

An article for you to read on... the first one is about bird poop and what you can learn about it:

Hendy

Meeting neighbors
looking at the posture of your bird on your finger speaks as to how it feels physically. Fluffed up and bent over.... it doesn't feel well at all. I don't see any broken feathers but if there are just leave them alone. There's enough going on with this little one. Please don't put alcohol on anymore. Have you ever put alcohol on a cut in your skin? It's burns and is painful, plus it will dry the fragile skin out. If you have to clean poop off again just use a warm wet paper towel and hold it on the dried poop long enough for it to soften so you can wipe it off.. be gentle when you wipe.. the tissue there is probably very sore. The poop doesn't look bad. It wouldn't hurt to have a Grams stain and culture done on the poop at the vets office. Truely.... the best thing you should do is take your bird to the vet, specifically an avian vet. Write down Grams Stain and culture on fecal matter to remember what should be tested. They may do blood work but your baby might be too sick for that at this point. You should be keeping this little one in a warm container ( 85 degrees) with food and clean water available all the time.

An article for you to read on... the first one is about bird poop and what you can learn about it:

I just fed him on that photo maybe that's why he looks fluffed and this is another photo when he's not sleeping and his poop. And there is no avian vet here because bird is not too popular here

Attachments

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
why are you handfeeding it to start with? and what are you handfeeding it? bird is sick period either way it needs to see a vet otherwise it most likely will die when a budgie is fluffy its getting near ready to die basically even it being fed shouldnt effect its fuffyness

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
my mom is abit hesitate to take him to get because it's a 7 dollar bird and the bill of the vet is 17 dollar or more
Remind your mum that you were free, but still receive medical attention should you get poorly/sick/injured.

And there is no avian vet here because bird is not too popular here
If there is no Avian vet, then a regular vet that will see birds (exotics) will do. If you struggle to find someone, call a normal vet and ask them for help to locate a vet.
Where did you get the bird from? If it is a shop or breeder, ask them for vet information. They should be able to help.
Good luck! I really hope your little bird will be ok!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your bird looks to be very sick - in critical condition, IMO. The purchase cost of an animal has nothing to do with its value, and all deserve proper care and medical attention, no matter how small... Zara makes a very good point for you to share with your mom! I hope your mom takes your birdy to the vet and he/she is able to get the needed treatment.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Remind your mum that you were free, but still receive medical attention should you get poorly/sick/injured.

If there is no Avian vet, then a regular vet that will see birds (exotics) will do. If you struggle to find someone, call a normal vet and ask them for help to locate a vet.
Where did you get the bird from? If it is a shop or breeder, ask them for vet information. They should be able to help.
Good luck! I really hope your little bird will be ok!
They did say they bought this budgie at 2 weeks of age from a store. I would doubt they have any type of vet information.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I just fed him on that photo maybe that's why he looks fluffed and this is another photo when he's not sleeping and his poop. And there is no avian vet here because bird is not too popular here

Hi Hendy, your baby should not look fluffed after feeding... at all. At this point your little budgie should be a very active little bird. The current photo you attached on this post still shows your budgie very fluffed. It's very sick and really, really needs help by a vet. You mentioned when you open your box the bird climbs out on your hand. What exactly do you mean by box? If when you bought this bird at 2 weeks of age you weren't keeping it in a warm container at the proper temperature this could have been the beginning of poor management of the baby along with not changing the nest material as you said every 5-6 days. We do need to know exactly what the formula is that you've been feeding. Do you make it yourself or is it a commercial brand of formula made for birds?

To be quite honest, and I would love to be wrong, but without any medical treatment by a vet this young bird is not going to survive much longer. It's obvious it is not doing well and can be a slow painful death for it. At the very least you should be keeping this bird warm at 85 degrees Fahrenheit or 30 degrees Celsius. You may need to place a heating pad on it's lowest temperature under the container you keep the baby in but only under one half of the underside of the container so that if it gets to warm it can move away from the heat source.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Stop wasting time posting here. If you do not take this bird to a vet death will be soon. It does not matter how much the bird cost, its a living creature that is in the hands of people that are willing to let it die.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Dianne, if this is a child with a parent that will not, or can not help, our being here is all they have.
I'd rather this child have our commiseration and any help we can give, even if it does not save this baby's life.

Hendy

Meeting neighbors
Hi Hendy, your baby should not look fluffed after feeding... at all. At this point your little budgie should be a very active little bird. The current photo you attached on this post still shows your budgie very fluffed. It's very sick and really, really needs help by a vet. You mentioned when you open your box the bird climbs out on your hand. What exactly do you mean by box? If when you bought this bird at 2 weeks of age you weren't keeping it in a warm container at the proper temperature this could have been the beginning of poor management of the baby along with not changing the nest material as you said every 5-6 days. We do need to know exactly what the formula is that you've been feeding. Do you make it yourself or is it a commercial brand of formula made for birds?

To be quite honest, and I would love to be wrong, but without any medical treatment by a vet this young bird is not going to survive much longer. It's obvious it is not doing well and can be a slow painful death for it. At the very least you should be keeping this bird warm at 85 degrees Fahrenheit or 30 degrees Celsius. You may need to place a heating pad on it's lowest temperature under the container you keep the baby in but only under one half of the underside of the container so that if it gets to warm it can move away from the heat source.
Its hot in here, room temperature reach up to 32 celcius. I feed him kaytee exact. I thought it's fine with 5 days because it's a big nest. I gonna take my bird to vet with my brother without her permission anyway. I'm trying to find vet right now