• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures is mango okay

lovemango

Checking out the neighborhood
hello!
I'm new around here, hope I'm in the right place! also this might be a bit long sorry!
Mango is a rescue, my dad found him/her on the street a month ago fighting away a crow and now we have a pet bird. From the research I've done so far, it seems he is an Indian ringneck parakeet.
I have no idea of the gender and age but we took him to a vet a couple of weeks ago and were informed that he's somewhere between a fledgling and a juvenile (???) if anyone can help with providing more specific details I'd appreciate it a lot!

2 weeks ago a little tuft of feathers fell off of his beak, it was very alarming to me but the pandemic is pretty bad here in India and the vets weren't taking appointments. It seemed to be healing fine and his behaviour was completely okay too. Today however, I noticed a bit of blood near his nostril, and inflammation (?) in between his nostrils. His behaviour is still completely normal. I have attached photos for reference.
I have no idea what to do! Please help!

Attachments

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the avenue... It's nice to see another Indian here. One thing I should remind you though, keeping Indian ringnecks is not legal in our country. But naturally you couldn't have abandoned him, you have done a great job. Mango looks like a young bird, but I am no expert. I can assure you, in this forum, you'll get advice from experienced people... Good luck with Mango.

lovemango

Welcome to the avenue... It's nice to see another Indian here. One thing I should remind you though, keeping Indian ringnecks is not legal in our country. But naturally you couldn't have abandoned him, you have done a great job. Mango looks like a young bird, but I am no expert. I can assure you, in this forum, you'll get advice from experienced people... Good luck with Mango.
Thank you for the heads up! I'm actually from England and was only planning to stay for 3 weeks but the virus has extended my stay by a lot haha! Do you think I'd be able to take Mango along with me when I go? I'm very attached to him and I think he really likes me too!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think there's a post about international travel with birds. I am also a big fan of IRN, but can't keep one. Can you post another pic with a closer look, his nostrils not visible properly...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you check you’ve got no sharp bits on the bars of your cage (both inside and out) by wiping it over with kitchen tissue or toilet paper and also have a good feel with your bare hand. One of my cages had a little shard of metal which I only found because I inspected every join and corner of it before I put my bird in it, and check any toys, bowls and perches so you can rule them out as a reason for the blood.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It looks like an abrasion around the nasal area. @Shezbug said, check the inside of his cage to see if there are any rough edges inside of it.
I also don't know anything about international travel with birds, but I imagine they are quite complicated.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue! :cool:
Please stay safe... in your lockdown... until you can return to England.
I'm not sure how difficult that will be to take your bird back w/ you... Since they're considered a native species, in the USA that is illegal... [at least for the states involved]. In the USA, to cross state lines, I had to have a vet come to the house [multiple birds] and give me a health certificate.
Since the vet is aware of your ownership because of your visit [obviously necessary w/ any bird]... ask them what and if any regulations involved.

lovemango

thank you everyone for the replies!
@Shezbug I just did and it seems okay to me?! I currently have a small metal cage as I couldn't find a different one. He stays outside for most of the day now so I imagine it was something he found around the house... the white area that connects the nostrils seems broken :( he doesn't show any signs of distress though, an absolute sweet heart.
@cassiesdad do you think it will heal on its own? :(
Should I contact a vet again? The vet I saw last didn't seem very reliable, so I decided to explore online.
@Pat H Thank you for your good wishes and useful information!! :D I might contact the vet about it.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Whilst you wait for the vet visit and such, make sure you feed fresh veggies and some fruit along with their pellet/seed/nut, etc. They really need some fresh produce daily.

I would also suggest offering a bath. IRN will bathe often and the current look of your little guy might improve after a bath. They can get surprisingly drab looking between baths and you may be surprised by the bird's colour when he is fresh and clean.

More info of parrot safe foods can be found here: Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More

For bathing it doesn't need to be complicated, just a dinner plate with some water -impromptu wading pool can be enough or anything else that suits his size as long as it isn't too deep. Provide fresh cold/cool water.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
When you're looking for a vet, get an avian certified vet and ask to make sure they see birds often.

I hope he/she's ok, good luck!