• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Machi Growing Up?

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Hey Linnie Lane!
Since this is my first time having a bird in general, I just wanted to ask. Also sorry beforehand for this pretty awkward post.

Today when Machi was scooting from the perch I use to move him around and my fingers (I was holding it), he seemed to perch on my fingers and uh...repeatedly squat and stand really quickly. It definitely looked like he was [redacted] my finger so I immediately put him back in my cage just to be sure. I saw his tail was vibrating too, so can I assume that he's starting to get hormonal? Or am I just imagining things??

He hasn't been cranky these days, in fact I think he's mellowed out compared to the last time I made an update post (he no longer bites me really hard!) but also he's getting to be 6 months....

Was relocating him to distract him from these actions the right thing to do? Or should I have done something else? Any advice would be wonderful.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do not know the best way to deal with this. Hopefully you will get some advice from others. Gigi is almost 2, so fully adult, but has never mounted me in any way. I think she sees me as her buddy, not her mate.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Around 10 months is the usual age for linnies to go into maturity, but of course that isn't a hard rule. Is there any toy that he seems to "like" like that other than your hand? My two linnies don't seem to do that, and I've never seen them mate with each other, but it's possible that I just haven't seen it yet. My lovebird has a toy that she likes to rub her vent on and I just let her keep it so she doesn't get frustrated. When Caspar, my blue linnie, was around 10 months he became pretty aggressive. He would lunge and scream at me and was extremely protective of Emrys, my other linnie. Small things (to me) would really anger him. Fortunately I knew that this was pretty common with linnies and he definitely grew out of it after a few months.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Was relocating him to distract him from these actions the right thing to do?
You don´t have to distract him from the ¨actions¨, you just want to reject him by not allowing it with you. He will seek a love interest elsewhere to fullfill his needs.

Maybe @Matto can help :)