• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is lemon woods safe for budgies to chew on?

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
My budgie has a problem with ingesting shredding toys so I removed them but I noticed he enjoys chewing on the woody stems of millet. These are the only ones I notice he doesn't ingest.

We ran out of stems but I was wondering if it would be safe to give him a skinny twig from our lemon tree to chew on. We don't use pesticides or anything. Thanks!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Unfortunately, no. I would not recommend offering this wood. Lemon trees contain potentially harmful compounds in their leaves and wood.

"The fruits of the lemon and lime trees are well-known additions to food and drink in the human world but can be a danger to our pets. Lemons and limes, like other citrus fruits, contain the essential oils limonene and linalool, as well as a phototoxic compound known as psoralens. Although a small amount is unlikely to pose a serious threat, it can cause gastrointestinal upset. Ingestion of larger quantities of these fruits, or the trees that they grow on, can cause more serious distress.

Both lemon (citrus limon) and lime (citrus aurantifolia) trees produce phototoxic compounds called psoralens as well as linalool and limonene. Although safe for humans, these substances are toxic to canines."

Source: Lemon and Lime Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
Unfortunately, no. I would not recommend offering this wood. Lemon trees contain potentially harmful compounds in their leaves and wood.

"The fruits of the lemon and lime trees are well-known additions to food and drink in the human world but can be a danger to our pets. Lemons and limes, like other citrus fruits, contain the essential oils limonene and linalool, as well as a phototoxic compound known as psoralens. Although a small amount is unlikely to pose a serious threat, it can cause gastrointestinal upset. Ingestion of larger quantities of these fruits, or the trees that they grow on, can cause more serious distress.

Both lemon (citrus limon) and lime (citrus aurantifolia) trees produce phototoxic compounds called psoralens as well as linalool and limonene. Although safe for humans, these substances are toxic to canines."

Source: Lemon and Lime Poisoning in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
Ah okay, thank you! I'm assuming then that orange trees would be in the same line?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
According to this list it’s perfectly safe!

I used orange and lemon for Burt with no issues at my last house. They were my trees and definitely had no pesticides.