• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is keeping eggs at room temperature enough to avoid embryos from developing?

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi.
My female cockatiel has laid her second egg, this time actually laying it on a flat surface and not mistaking it for a big poo.
There is now a very big possibility for the egg to be fertilized (someone had let her out with the male in the past week and a half twice, even though they are not supposed to be out at the same time without my permission. whether or not any mating actually happened i'm unsure of, but I suspect they have done it), but i am not interested in having babies, mainly for the stress of finding a good home.
Like the title asks, is keeping the egg at room temperature (which is about 18 celsius) enough to avoid an embryo from developing in the egg? She does not how to incubate, and when I picked the egg it was really cold. She does attempt to do so, but whenever she has actually placed herself on top of the egg she seems to find it uncomfortable, and steps off to either try again or do something else. I replaced the real egg with a fake one, and left the real egg in a cabinet, hidden away from her. Should I refridgerate the egg, or just let it sit there?
F.Y.I, no spider in the egg visible :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I replaced the real egg with a fake one,
Great :)

But why are you keeping the real egg? I squish them over the bin. (not that an egg can incubate in the bin,,, but just to be safe! lol)

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Great :)

But why are you keeping the real egg? I squish them over the bin. (not that an egg can incubate in the bin,,, but just to be safe! lol)
Ah, it is just me feeling it is quite harsh haha. I usually take the empty eggs outside for wildlife to enjoy, but I haven't had time to do that yet as I like to take the eggs out a bit further away to avoid wild animals starting to flock about for some more eggs.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
it is just me feeling it is quite harsh haha
I understand that :)
But as long as you pull those eggs quick while they are fresh and un-incubated, the embryo won´t have started developing, and is basically an infertile egg. Easier to destroy than a developing egg for sure. I always pull in the first few days. And once I have the egg out of the cage, I rid of it as soon as possible to avoid it going bad and breaking and making a mess.

I have moved this thread over to the Egg layers Expressway away from the breeders forum.

Reactions: tka

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I understand that :)
But as long as you pull those eggs quick while they are fresh and un-incubated, the embryo won´t have started developing, and is basically an infertile egg. Easier to destroy than a developing egg for sure. I always pull in the first few days. And once I have the egg out of the cage, I rid of it as soon as possible to avoid it going bad and breaking and making a mess.

I have moved this thread over to the Egg layers Expressway away from the breeders forum.
Very good to know, thank you! I'm sure I took the egg from her within the first few hours of it being laid, since it had appeared at some point during the evening. I'll be ridding the egg soon :)
I'll also be sure to post here if I have more questions about eggs in the future!