• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Jicama safe to feed to the fids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
A coworker brought in some Jicama today to share and it was delicious! I've never heard of it before though it apparently is quite popular in Mexico and South America. It's a vegetable and to me it tastes like a combination of apple and potato. Does anyone know if this is safe to feed to birds? My guys love apples and they would eat potatoes if I let them so I think they would like it. I'm always looking for something new and healthy to feed to them.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I know they have lots of Vit C (which parrots don't require)...and some calcium, so, I am assuming they are fine. Can't think of any reason why they would be unsafe.
We never see them here, but have a few places in the city that have them from time to time.
Would love to hear how your birds enjoy them.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
sounds interesting Brigid, agree with Doris that it sounds ok for them :)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I think I'm going to try some this weekend, if I can find them. My coworker said they have them at Kroger, but I've never seen them, or if I did, it didn't register in my brain and I passed them by because I didn't know what they were. If the fids don't like them, then I'll just eat them. Only 49 calories so it will add something new to my dieting, lol.

Hope Riddle

Sprinting down the street
I think I'm going to try some this weekend, if I can find them. My coworker said they have them at Kroger, but I've never seen them, or if I did, it didn't register in my brain and I passed them by because I didn't know what they were. If the fids don't like them, then I'll just eat them. Only 49 calories so it will add something new to my dieting, lol.
How do you cook them? Or do you feed them raw? Ohh yea what do they look like? LOL

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I know they have lots of Vit C (which parrots don't require)...
That is not entirely true. Vitamin C is a great antioxidant that has many benefits for our birds. They don't need huge amounts but having "some" is good for them.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Jicama, also called the Mexican potato, is a large root vegetable with a thin brown skin and a white crunchy flesh. It is becoming more and more popular in Asia and the US, but hasn’t been widely used outside Mexico or parts of South America until recently. In texture, and to a lesser extent in taste, it is very similar to the water chestnut.

It is peeled and eaten raw or cooked, and has a taste that is described as slightly sweet and nutty. You might get a better sense of the taste by considering what some cookbook authors recommend as substitutes if you can’t find jicama — uncooked in a salad, the best substitution might be a firm, not-too-sweet apple. In a cooked dish, go the water-chestnut route.

Attachments

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
That is not entirely true. Vitamin C is a great antioxidant that has many benefits for our birds. They don't need huge amounts but having "some" is good for them.
Yes, very true indeed!...my point was that parrots manufacture their own vit C - just as dogs do.

Doris

Status
Not open for further replies.