• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it safe to have a bird in an apartment building?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hello, as some of you may know I have a GCC named Berry who i've had for about 4 years. Within the next year I'm moving into an apartment, and I'm concerned most about the potential toxic fumes that could come from other parts of the building, like if they were to paint or spray pesticides. I didn't smell anything when I visited, it's very clean and newly renovated but that does make me concerned about paint fumes. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Side note, pets are allowed but the noise level could be problematic. I'd probably look into sound proofing. Would he be too loud? He's very vocal let's say...

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Posting to remember to come back and reply :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry it took me so long to reply been working all day.
So the entire time I had parrots(17 years) all but 5 of them were in apartments.
I mostly only had issues when it was necessary to have them come in to spray for ants because unfortunately where we live they are everywhere and despite various ant bait traps would target my room especially because of the crumbs no matter how much I vacuumed multiple times a day and still they came so that's something to be aware of.

Also when they come to spray its recommended to me by various vets to keep them out of the apt anywhere from 3 days to a week to be absolutely sure that all smells and risk of the chemicals harming them are gone. The only times I've had smells come into my room(where I had to keep them) were twice off the top of my head once it was definitely cigarette smoke and another it was Marijuana(sp) which I had no idea that's what the smell was until shortly after a letter was sent to the entire building that that wasn't tolerated on the property and then I'd never had any more issues but I was very upset once I realized that I and Nala had been exposed to that.

As for noise issues that's going to vary from building to building. My apt has very thin walls so when I had an extremely loud Crimson Bellied Conure there was no escaping his noise everywhere in the apt it sounded like he was right on top of me and I know my neighbors were hearing him and I dreaded everyday that an angry knock would come and have an angry neighbor but I was extremely lucky that it never happened by the time I unfortunately had to rehome him.
Had he stayed with me any longer I'm absolutely sure that would have happened and rightfully so because he turned out to be absolutely inappropriate to have in an apartment (which I had no idea he would as I got him as a baby)

I did have an almost issue with my quieter bird that I got after Tobias. I always every time we renewed our lease make absolutely sure that I was allowed to have a parrot and notated it in the lease and no issues for years and then suddenly after new management took over I had a battle on my hands and they tried to make me rehome him and I had to email corporate and it was a whole situation. Luckily I was able to plead my case and be allowed to keep him but it was very frightening to think they could force me to rehome. So I'd make absolutely sure you have it written down and notated explicitly that you're allowed to have that specific bird in your apt it can save you pain in the future.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sorry it took me so long to reply been working all day.
So the entire time I had parrots(17 years) all but 5 of them were in apartments.
I mostly only had issues when it was necessary to have them come in to spray for ants because unfortunately where we live they are everywhere and despite various ant bait traps would target my room especially because of the crumbs no matter how much I vacuumed multiple times a day and still they came so that's something to be aware of.

Also when they come to spray its recommended to me by various vets to keep them out of the apt anywhere from 3 days to a week to be absolutely sure that all smells and risk of the chemicals harming them are gone. The only times I've had smells come into my room(where I had to keep them) were twice off the top of my head once it was definitely cigarette smoke and another it was Marijuana(sp) which I had no idea that's what the smell was until shortly after a letter was sent to the entire building that that wasn't tolerated on the property and then I'd never had any more issues but I was very upset once I realized that I and Nala had been exposed to that.

As for noise issues that's going to vary from building to building. My apt has very thin walls so when I had an extremely loud Crimson Bellied Conure there was no escaping his noise everywhere in the apt it sounded like he was right on top of me and I know my neighbors were hearing him and I dreaded everyday that an angry knock would come and have an angry neighbor but I was extremely lucky that it never happened by the time I unfortunately had to rehome him.
Had he stayed with me any longer I'm absolutely sure that would have happened and rightfully so because he turned out to be absolutely inappropriate to have in an apartment (which I had no idea he would as I got him as a baby)

I did have an almost issue with my quieter bird that I got after Tobias. I always every time we renewed our lease make absolutely sure that I was allowed to have a parrot and notated it in the lease and no issues for years and then suddenly after new management took over I had a battle on my hands and they tried to make me rehome him and I had to email corporate and it was a whole situation. Luckily I was able to plead my case and be allowed to keep him but it was very frightening to think they could force me to rehome. So I'd make absolutely sure you have it written down and notated explicitly that you're allowed to have that specific bird in your apt it can save you pain in the future.
Thank you so much this is so helpful. Did your building give you notices before spraying? I guess they would have to depending on the laws in the area.

I'm thinking of getting magnetic vent covers as it's the old style long ones that run along the floor and I would like to have a way to cover them in the event a smell came through.

The building was honestly super quiet when I viewed it, like I didn't hear a sound so I have a feeling it's well built.

This is a big relief, thank you for your help. I could never rehome him but unfortunately I have to move out. My only choice would be leaving him with my parents but he is bonded with me for life. I got him right during the pandemic so he's one of those birds.. if you know what I mean. I would only ever consider it if his life was at risk, but it seems like it should be fine.

Thanks again :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much this is so helpful. Did your building give you notices before spraying? I guess they would have to depending on the laws in the area.

I'm thinking of getting magnetic vent covers as it's the old style long ones that run along the floor and I would like to have a way to cover them in the event a smell came through.

The building was honestly super quiet when I viewed it, like I didn't hear a sound so I have a feeling it's well built.

This is a big relief, thank you for your help. I could never rehome him but unfortunately I have to move out. My only choice would be leaving him with my parents but he is bonded with me for life. I got him right during the pandemic so he's one of those birds.. if you know what I mean. I would only ever consider it if his life was at risk, but it seems like it should be fine.

Thanks again :)
You're so welcome! They did yes since they do it every other month I think unless you opt out of it which I always did until it got to the point that I absolutely had to have them come in when the baits just couldn't stop the infestation. But they only came on certain days so I could choose when once I deemed that I needed it.

Oh that could probably work with the covers that's a great idea.

That's quite encouraging then that it seems like a well put together building so hopefully the noise won't be an issue at all.

I completely understand he's your precious little one and you want him with you. It may take a bit of adjustment for you both but I'm sure it will be a fun new adventure

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Noxious fumes depend on your neighbours.

In both apartments where I’ve had birds, they periodically reno, including varnishing the floors. I’ve never had a problem with air filters & the birds in a closed room, to basically make a buffer area between the public hallway & where they were.

But when my ex-neighbours got into drugs, Moss died. He was the youngest (4.5 months), smallest & weakest. A necropsy ruled everything else out. I wish I could reassure you that nothing bad will happen, but it sometimes does.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You're so welcome! They did yes since they do it every other month I think unless you opt out of it which I always did until it got to the point that I absolutely had to have them come in when the baits just couldn't stop the infestation. But they only came on certain days so I could choose when once I deemed that I needed it.

Oh that could probably work with the covers that's a great idea.

That's quite encouraging then that it seems like a well put together building so hopefully the noise won't be an issue at all.

I completely understand he's your precious little one and you want him with you. It may take a bit of adjustment for you both but I'm sure it will be a fun new adventure
Wow everyone month?? We've been looking at apartments for months now and it seems like no matter how good they seem they all have some form of pests. Thats good they give a notice. I'm sure I could take him to my parents house in the event.

Thanks for all the positive encouragement :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Noxious fumes depend on your neighbours.

In both apartments where I’ve had birds, they periodically reno, including varnishing the floors. I’ve never had a problem with air filters & the birds in a closed room, to basically make a buffer area between the public hallway & where they were.

But when my ex-neighbours got into drugs, Moss died. He was the youngest (4.5 months), smallest & weakest. A necropsy ruled everything else out. I wish I could reassure you that nothing bad will happen, but it sometimes does.
I am so sorry, that is really awful. Thank you for sharing what happened :(