• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it safe to feed your bird colored pellets?

Annb

Checking out the neighborhood
I’m getting a macaw and I was searching through food options, i came across a brand that sells colored pellets. I did further research on the product and it says the colorants are natural (chlorophyll, for example) and that it doesn’t contain agrochemicals. Would it be safe to feed (with a well balanced diet, of course)? Please note that the area that I live in has some limitations in food brands. F52A5D6F-96B3-47D2-9764-5AAA845EBFC4.png

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I'm not an expert, but I read a lot and I try to do the best I can for my birds.

Here's the thing: the best pellet for your bird is the one she'll eat and enjoy and that is available to you. I think in a perfect world we'd all give our birds organic, sustainably sourced, fair-trade, cradled in unicorn down, pellets. (okay, maybe not the unicorn down, don't want to encourage nesting)

But, even if I found that, my birds probably would probably be all, "that's not food" and ignore it entirely. So, we make compromises. Maybe something has colorants and we think it'd be better if it didn't. But, lots of birds do fine on diets that include those colorants. So, you kind of need to see how that works for your bird.

Also, if you give some idea of your location, someone might be able to suggest alternatives that are available for you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Really the biggest issue is that they can color poops and make it harder to early detect issues. However, I feed artificially colored pellets because that's what my bird eats :shrug:

Annb

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm not an expert, but I read a lot and I try to do the best I can for my birds.

Here's the thing: the best pellet for your bird is the one she'll eat and enjoy and that is available to you. I think in a perfect world we'd all give our birds organic, sustainably sourced, fair-trade, cradled in unicorn down, pellets. (okay, maybe not the unicorn down, don't want to encourage nesting)

But, even if I found that, my birds probably would probably be all, "that's not food" and ignore it entirely. So, we make compromises. Maybe something has colorants and we think it'd be better if it didn't. But, lots of birds do fine on diets that include those colorants. So, you kind of need to see how that works for your bird.

Also, if you give some idea of your location, someone might be able to suggest alternatives that are available for you.
Thank you for your advice! I will try and see what my *future* parrot likes best.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Macaws and most parrots can have colored pellets. Eclectus parrots are the exception.

honkwee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
ava
Not an expert. The best pellet for a bird is the one they eat, if they only eat colored pellets then that's what you feed them!