• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it regurgitation?

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi! So about a month ago, gonzo (cockatoo) had a little accident and ripped off a nail while he was in his cage. I took him to the vet and got some meds to give him. Luckily the toe has healed up nicely, but He hated getting the meds, and after the last night of medication, he was clawing at his mouth and trying to get the medication off of his beak I think. I saw him stick his nail into his mouth and regurgitate? some food out. I saw him do it once or twice and I haven’t seen him do it since. But sometimes in the morning when I wake up I’ll notice some wet softened pellets around his mouth or on his claws. Has anyone ever had this happen with their birds? He is 2 1/2, so I was thinking maybe it’s regurgitation? I heard regurgitation shouldn’t dirty their feathers, it I have seen him regurgitate to the hair dryer before, and it’s pretty messy. He is still active and eating and drinking normally, so I’m not sure if this is something to be concerned about. Sorry for the long lost, and Thanks for the help!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
But sometimes in the morning when I wake up I’ll notice some wet softened pellets around his mouth or on his claws. Has anyone ever had this happen with their birds? He is 2 1/2, so I was thinking maybe it’s regurgitation
You think it's regurgitation but haven't actually seen it. Personally I would chalk things up to taking the meds. Give it a little time and see.

Regurgitation is normal.