• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it really that bad…

mmr1084

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Meagan
So I was dropping blankets and toys of at my local animal shelter. I do this every year spring cleaning and such and while I was there I saw that they had a IRN. They said he was male and surrendered about a week ago the mother had bought him for her daughter.Unfortunately they did not research how much time he would require. He is about a year old. And he was lovely. I spent about an hour with him. And he didn’t exhibit any behavior I would consider super difficult to work with. My question is are they really that difficult?I have tried to gather as much info possible on IRN. It’s very mixed. Then I read the good the bad and the ugly on here and was really taken aback. It kinda comes off like they are a very difficult bird. Compared to same thread under The African Grey section which I previously considered a bird needing to be owned by people with years of experience seems tame in comparison. I would love to give him a home but I’m a little intimidated by what I’ve read.
I will help him find a home wether I take him or not.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
parrots are difficult yes, but if your lifestyle fits then they are very possible. most actual bird owners try to scare off people because we know first hand how hard it can be, those who aren’t serious about it are easily disinterested when they really start reading. a couple key points of compatibility are 1. are you willing to give up air freshener, this can be a deal breaker for a lot of people. 2. non stick cookware? 3. are you willing to spend hundreds on enrichment, toys, food and vet bills 4. do you have an avian vet, they’re hard to find. 5. do you want a bird that can easily live to be 40, and ofc, you don’t get days off from hanging out with the bird for hours a day. they expect your attention whenever you’re at home. if you do your research before and after getting your new buddy and find that you’re able to care for them id go for it. birds are super fulfilling and fun, good luck. :p

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I have had my Jade for a little over a year and honestly he’s been an experience. But nothing I can’t handle. IRNs do need a lot of personal time from their people but that can be done with training, playing, meals, and even watching tv. I do a karaoke evening every other day and my birds love it.

mmr1084

Real Name
Meagan
parrots are difficult yes, but if your lifestyle fits then they are very possible. most actual bird owners try to scare off people because we know first hand how hard it can be, those who aren’t serious about it are easily disinterested when they really start reading. a couple key points of compatibility are 1. are you willing to give up air freshener, this can be a deal breaker for a lot of people. 2. non stick cookware? 3. are you willing to spend hundreds on enrichment, toys, food and vet bills 4. do you have an avian vet, they’re hard to find. 5. do you want a bird that can easily live to be 40, and ofc, you don’t get days off from hanging out with the bird for hours a day. they expect your attention whenever you’re at home. if you do your research before and after getting your new buddy and find that you’re able to care for them id go for it. birds are super fulfilling and fun, good luck. :p
I’m sorry I should have included that I’m experienced with parrots. And currently have four. Two P’lets and two cockatiels. I had an Amazon and a sun conure growing up. And I bird sit a U2 and a quaker regularly. I was already going to add another to my flock and was speaking to a breeder for my first hand fed baby ( all my other birds are rescues) so I’m good with 1-5. I’m specifically asking about IRNs in general.

mmr1084

Real Name
Meagan
I have had my Jade for a little over a year and honestly he’s been an experience. But nothing I can’t handle. IRNs do need a lot of personal time from their people but that can be done with training, playing, meals, and even watching tv. I do a karaoke evening every other day and my birds love it.
He has been a trial comparative to the other birds you have ? So you’re thinking a species thing rather then individual personality and environment factors ? I’m sorry I’m just trying to understand Why half the world says they are the best and the other half is like they are difficult.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe they’re more hands off than many other parrots.
@fashionfobie might be a good source of information

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My question is are they really that difficult? I have tried to gather as much info possible on IRN. It’s very mixed. Then I read the good the bad and the ugly on here and was really taken aback. It kinda comes off like they are a very difficult bird. Compared to same thread under The African Grey section which I previously considered a bird needing to be owned by people with years of experience seems tame in comparison. I would love to give him a home but
In my opinion IRN are a bit different, but not really more difficult than other parrots. A lot of people have most experience with budgies, cockatiels and conures in part because of they are available, popular and charming. All three of these common types of companion birds have behaviours that are different than an IRN, and because of this IRN can be an adjustment for some. Asiatic parrots (this is Psittacula generally including IRN) are highly intelligent birds, and need a lot of activities to keep themselves busy. IRN are especially prone to destructive pacing behaviours when they aren't given proper exercise, this behaviour can turn into a life long chronic habit, which is difficult to help a bird out of. Asiatic parrots are also not allopreening birds, meaning they do not require help with pin feathers. This too can cause confusion to some parrot oriented people, because IRN don't always need nor want to be touched. Conures as comparison are very physical.

If you understand the underlying behaviour differences of an IRN they can blossom into well adjust and pleasant birds. The relationship may be best if based on fun/stimulating activities, and less about direct physical interaction. Now this doesn't mean your bird won't step up! Once they trust you they will likely always perch on you in some way or other (I know my little bird 'a plumhead' can be very cute about where he perches). The touch I am referring too is scritching. Head touch is very stimulating for Asiatics and usually it is related to copulating and not really something friends do. You sorta need to understand your birds boundaries and respect their Birdy bubble. I think the very fact that you are trying to understand the bird before your rush out and adopt him shows that you may be the perfect person to take on an IRN. With the proper types of interactions they can be a life long companion. Lots of toys! Lots of time to fly! And remember fresh food diets with veggies and some fruit. If you think you can make this possible for him every day for the next few decades, then I think you are perfectly capable of taking this little love on.

A photo of my Pi for an example. He is currently moulting. He moults all at once, looks a bit wild for a bit but then looks handsome as all tomorrows. He doesn't want any help with preening these pins. He just asks for lots of baths.

Attachments

Last edited:

mmr1084

Real Name
Meagan
In my opinion IRN are a bit different, but not really more difficult than other parrots. A lot of people have most experience with budgies, cockatiels and conures in part because of they are available, popular and charming. All three of these common types of companion birds have behaviours that are different than an IRN, and because of this IRN can be an adjustment for some. Asiatic parrots (this is Psittacula generally including IRN) are highly intelligent birds, and need a lot of activities to keep themselves busy. IRN are especially prone to destructive pacing behaviours when they aren't given proper exercise, this behaviour can turn into a life long chronic habit, which is difficult to help a bird out of. Asiatic parrots are also not allopreening birds, meaning they do not require help with pin feathers. This too can cause confusion to some parrot oriented people, because IRN don't always need nor want to be touched. Conures as comparison are very physical.

If you understand the underlying behaviour differences of an IRN they can blossom into well adjust and pleasant birds. The relationship may be best if based on fun/stimulating activities, and less about direct physical interaction. Now this doesn't mean your bird won't step up! Once they trust you they will likely always perch on you in some way or other (I know my little bird 'a plumhead' can be very cute about where he perches). The touch I am referring too is scritching. Head touch is very stimulating for Asiatics and usually it is related to copulating and not really something friends do. You sorta need to understand your birds boundaries and respect their Birdy bubble. I think the very fact that you are trying to understand the bird before your rush out and adopt him shows that you may be the perfect person to take on an IRN. With the proper types of interactions they can be a life long companion. Lots of toys! Lots of time to fly! And remember fresh food diets with veggies and some fruit. If you think you can make this possible for him every day for the next few decades, then I think you are perfectly capable of taking this little love on.

A photo of my Pi for an example. He is currently moulting. He moults all at once, looks a bit wild for a bit but then looks handsome as all tomorrows. He doesn't want any help with preening these pins. He just asks for lots of baths.
THIS was soooooo insightful ! Thank you so much for this. I have no asiatic bird experience. So this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much for saying it in a way that makes sense. I have had old world and new world birds but nothing from Asia. Ok so I can deal with that. I don’t care if I can scritch or cuddle. It’s more the interaction for me. As long as I can interact and play I don’t mind not having a “cuddley” bird. Most birds aren’t anyway and that’s ok. But with this I have a better idea of how to react to certain behaviors. There certainly are parrot basics,the type of reaction that you would use across the board but there are also differences in treatment of certain species. Certain species react better when you deal with certain behaviors a certain way as confusing as that sounds so thank you once again this has cleared up a lot for me.