• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I was calling to get help with a new computer monitor. Trying to weave my way through the press 1 if you want…press 2 if you want. As usual, Louise becomes her most chatty while I am on the phone. She was imitating the beeps which seemed to send me to the phone tree menus I didn’t need. Her beeps would stop whatever was being said and I would end up on the international service menu, the business sales menu. It really seemed to be in response to her imitating beeps. Is this even possible?

Pic of the sweet sticker who made me laugh a lot tonight 556D2D00-7807-46D5-B492-4EC7976EA176.jpeg

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Don't you just love adventures with a Gray? My parrot Walter spent a week with a friend of mine who had one of those old time security systems. He would literally bleep the entire code. I'm sure your sweet stinker ran the system. Now just let your bird talk to the tech guy.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Don't you just love adventures with a Gray? My parrot Walter spent a week with a friend of mine who had one of those old time security systems. He would literally bleep the entire code. I'm sure your sweet stinker ran the system. Now just let your bird talk to the tech guy.
Yes, love the adventures! Walter is a handsome guy!

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Yours is beautiful as well. Tell me about your sweet thing. She/ he has similar gray markings to Walter. Walter is a 39 year old TAG. He doesn't really talk but has a wicked sense of humor.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of my fondest memories of sharing my house with greys- especially CAGs, was shoving food in their face in order to make a phone call. Louise is so precious :heart:

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Some of my fondest memories of sharing my house with greys- especially CAGs, was shoving food in their face in order to make a phone call. Louise is so precious :heart:
:rofl:Gee that is how Walter developed a mob cracker habit in which he used mob tactics to teach the children to give him crackers and other items that Mom would not allow. Took me almost a year to wean him off of junk food. Walnuts are now the currency of choice.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
It's certainly possible that the phone system responded to Louise's beeps. A Grey's imitations of beeps and boops tend to be spot-on accurate. My CAG Scooter's imitation of my coffee maker's beeps is so exact that I once went into the kitchen to pour a cup of freshly brewed coffee, only to realize that I hadn't yet turned the thing on to start it brewing. :D

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
It's certainly possible that the phone system responded to Louise's beeps. A Grey's imitations of beeps and boops tend to be spot-on accurate. My CAG Scooter's imitation of my coffee maker's beeps is so exact that I once went into the kitchen to pour a cup of freshly brewed coffee, only to realize that I hadn't yet turned the thing on to start it brewing. :D
Yes Absolutely, we have gone to change the battery in the fire alarm because we thought it was doing its low battery beep only to find out it was Walter. It amazes me that he can do so many strange sounds and yet he will only say about three words.... My favorite story of him making sounds was soon after Star Wars hit the tv and Walter got to watch it. He was sitting there making sounds so my sister made a sound like a gun going off. Walter repeated it, My sister did it again, Walter repeated, then my sister did a third time and Walter looked at her and sent of a series of about five laser gun sounds from Star Wars. I looked at my sister and said that she had taken a gun to a laser fight. Walter laughed.....

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What ever it is about phones… I’m clueless! I can’t walk past Lola with my land line or cell phone without her screaming. Any other time she’s as quiet and polite as no one could imagine! It’s usually my sister I’m talking to but if I happen to answer the phone and get a telemarketer … it’s a fun way to get them off the phone… SORRY! I can’t hear you.. gotta go!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
My old YCA George used to scream whenever the phone was in use too. Luckily, neither QP Ralph nor Scooter the CAG do that. When I'm using the phone, Ralph gives a few little squawks, just so I won't forget that he's there, and Scooter boops repeatedly, exactly imitating the boop my cordless landline phone makes when any buttons are pushed. I don't think they recognize the cellphone as a telephone so they're both pretty quiet when I'm using it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My old YCA George used to scream whenever the phone was in use too. Luckily, neither QP Ralph nor Scooter the CAG do that. When I'm using the phone, Ralph gives a few little squawks, just so I won't forget that he's there, and Scooter boops repeatedly, exactly imitating the boop my cordless landline phone makes when any buttons are pushed. I don't think they recognize the cellphone as a telephone so they're both pretty quiet when I'm using it.
Booping…so funny! I didn’t realize I burped in front of Henry that he loved the sound so much to repeat it all the time. This year… he’s learned to cough. Fortunately he hasn’t learned farting:D

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our CAG Jengo makes the beeping sound of heavy machinery backing up. She had my neighbor looking for it one day, LOL. I had to tell him it was my bird making those sounds. When the phone rings she says Hello. She used to make the sound of our refrigerator water dispenser. About a year ago she started saying WOOP WOOP. We have no idea where she got that. She has other sounds she makes as well as imitating my U2. Greys are masters at sounds.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went to a zoo recently that has a walk-in African Grey exhibit. Clearly everyone wolf whistles at them cos when you whistle at them you get about 10 African Greys wolf whistling back at you. It's quite the confidence boost :rolleyes:

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Scooter the CAG doesn't imitate burps or farts, but the last time I had a bad cold, she did learn to imitate me blowing my nose. For a while, if she saw me reaching for a Kleenex, she'd do that imitation, but she doesn't do it often any more. She imitates everything around here that beeps or boops-- the microwave oven, toaster oven, remote control for the air conditioner and the garbage truck backing up to empty the dumpster in back of our building. Ralph the QP doesn't do beeps and boops, but he does imitate the creaking sound one of the kitchen cupboard doors makes. :D

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went to a zoo recently that has a walk-in African Grey exhibit. Clearly everyone wolf whistles at them cos when you whistle at them you get about 10 African Greys wolf whistling back at you. It's quite the confidence boost :rolleyes:
Have you read this story? I found it soooo hilarious!

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
It really seemed to be in response to her imitating beeps. Is this even possible?
Yes. The phone is digital but the tones are what sends messages to "route" a call. All keypads do is provide the correct tone. Listen to the sounds of 1 through 9 sometime and you will hear a distinct difference and if you have a means of measuring it, each "number" will have a slightly different Hz frequency.