• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible to train parrots to free flight?

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
so where i live there are people who collect/buy pigeons, and they have like an aviary and they let the pigeons out for the day. those pigeons just go roam around freely with no problems and then comeback to the aviary to feed/rest whatever.

i was wondering, since parrots are usually smarter than other species of bird, if this type of thing could be possible with them, especially smaller types like budgies/cockatiels. i could do the same thing but instead of aviary it would be their cages.

i've also seen many videos of people calling out in the street and their parrots coming flying to them.

i think it would be a great thing to do with my birds, where i live there's no birds of prey that could hurt them, all there is are those said pigeons and some seagulls but they usually hangout near trash areas and thats it. the only problem i believe would be stray cats, but there's not that many in here anyway.

so what do you guys think? is it too risky? does it take too much training?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Homing pigeons know how to get home no matter where they are, but for parrots it is easier to get lost. I know VERY few parrot people risk free flight, it's very dangerous and usually done with larger birds. I wouldn't risk it, If there is such thing as too much training, then yes, free flight takes too much training. Even when parrots are trained in free flight, they can get spooked and fly away, getting stuck in tall trees or getting lost. It's too much of a risk.

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
Homing pigeons know how to get home no matter where they are, but for parrots it is easier to get lost. I know VERY few parrot people risk free flight, it's very dangerous and usually done with larger birds. I wouldn't risk it, If there is such thing as too much training, then yes, free flight takes too much training. Even when parrots are trained in free flight, they can get spooked and fly away, getting stuck in tall trees or getting lost. It's too much of a risk.
thats true, i agree, thanks for the input :)

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
True free flight is quite risky. Not all homing pigeons and racing pigeons actually reach their destination. There are many hazards that can cost your bird's life, if you are not careful and lucky. Also, pigeons have a homing instinct that helps them to return to their aviary, while parrots can get lost or confused in unfamiliar surroundings, despite their high intellect. They may want to come back, but cannot do so, especially if they are startled and flee instinctively from the threat. Birds can fly far and fast. And since many parrots are from a warmer tropical climate and their natural food sources are not present nearby, being lost for even a few days can be deadly.

I don't recommend free-flying parrots outside. It is not worth the risk.

However, it is totally possible to train your parrot to come out of his cage and fly freely inside your home or a similar fully enclosed and protected location. In fact, many parrot owners will construct "bird rooms" inside their homes to allow their parrots as much freedom as possible without risking lost birds or predation from hawks, dogs, or cats. That kind of flight training is excellent for all birds.

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
However, it is totally possible to train your parrot to come out of his cage and fly freely inside your home or a similar fully enclosed and protected location. In fact, many parrot owners will construct "bird rooms" inside their homes to allow their parrots as much freedom as possible without risking lost birds or predation from hawks, dogs, or cats. That kind of flight training is excellent for all birds.
yea i already trained them to fly freely in my room, was just wondering if they could behave like pigeons. but as you guys said, its not worth the risk for a lot of reasons i failed to consider.

thank you for the answer :)))

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Free flight is usually done with larger parrots like Macaws. But, even with them there is a big risk that they won't return.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Budgies aren´t a popular candidate for free flying. Besides, they are small enough that they can fly inside our homes :)