• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible to totally bird-proof a room?

BirdDad

Meeting neighbors
I really dislike keeping my birds (2 budgies, 1 cockatiel.) caged. The budgies seem to have a ball wherever they are, whether in the cages or outside, however my cockatiel much prefers to roam freely around my room. She'll scream if kept inside of the cage.
She's developed a bad habit for climbing/chewing blinds. I've just learned that this is dangerous so I'll do my best to keep her away from them.
I used to keep my birds uncaged 24/7 but I've heard that it's dangerous to do so. My room is relatively safe however there's some things that can pose a hazard, such as the blinds.
I don't think it's a possibility for me to completely bird-proof my room right now, however I'd like to get the birds an entire room of their own when I eventually move.
Is it possible to totally bird-proof a room for budgies and cockatiels?
I just feel like it's unfair to keep them caged while I'm away.
If it's not a possibility, can anyone point me in the direction of some really large cages with appropriate bar spacing? Bigger is better and price isn't an issue. I'll get it whenever possible. I just can't find any cages that I personally feel are big enough.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
There are a number of people who have bird proofed for various sizes of birds here so it is definitely possible.

With regard to cages I would suggest checking out flight cages rather than "parrot" cages. The bars will be less heavy duty (thinner) but a cockatiel isn't going to be snapping welds any time soon, and the bar spacing will be appropriate. You are going to want something in the 1/2" to 3/4" range for bar spacing, and the larger flight cages for the little birds are ideal because they are roomy but have the narrow bar spacing. A double flight cage with the divider removed can be something like 5 feet wide and close to two feet deep which is lots of room.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
NO. Just my point of view because once a bird has figured out what you reinforced so that it can't get out it will change that. Not talking about tiels but trust me Quakers, gccs and sun conures will look at what has been changed and will work, quite effortlessly, to change it right back.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I let my tiel live cage free during the day and he slept in his cage at night. I think my answer to your questions is, it depends on the bird. We didn't start out planning on letting our tiel live cage free. It happened gradually and we did it in small increments at first. But our tiel was very, very non-destructive. The only thing he really liked to chew on was paper. If you left a book out, chances are when you came back it would be chewed up. But other than that, he left every else alone- didn't chew on wood, etc. Now we did all the basic safety precautions- blocked access to any electrical cords, etc. It worked really well for us but I don't think it would work for every bird.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I keep my quaker in a small room and never close his cage door. I do my best to bird proof the room, and I think it's pretty safe, but I accept that nothing is 100% guaranteed. But I feel the tiny risk is worth not caging him. That's just my opinion and what works for me though. I should add that I agree with Michelle that every bird is different so that's something to take into consideration too.

If your tiel is drawn to the window blinds maybe switching to curtains could be an option?

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is it possible to totally bird-proof a room for budgies and cockatiels?
They are probably the easiest birds to do it with. All you have to do is remove anything that's not safe and cover/protect/replace anything you don't want wrecked. A bird room is just a very big cage. Bird rooms are not about "style" or how it looks. The birds could care less. The objective is function and safety.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please make sure people you live with keep the door closed.