• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible to have a zon with a full time job?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Hi all,

Is it possible to have an Amazon if you work a 9:00-5:00 job, five days a week? If so, what would you have to do to make it possible? It would probably be a 40"x30" cage, and loads of toys.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have an Amazon, but I think in general, with most birds it's possible - most of us here work- as long as they get plenty of time and attention when you are home.

@Love My Zons ? @Fuzzy ?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
if you work a 9:00-5:00 job, five days a week?
So many people keep birds and work a 9-5 or other full time job.
It´s about working out the other hours when you are not working, and dedicating them to you and your own things, and your bird and his/her needs :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Amazons are amazingly flexible in my humble opinion. I started with two Amazons but MC passed away on April 28, during COVID.

I've always worked full time but these days there's someone always around so I guess Secret doesn't mind being an only bird. Yes, there are still days when the bird is by herself.

Remember, all birds are different and individuals. You just have to learn as you go along.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You can work and have an Amazon. They are very independent, will find things to do to keep busy if given plenty of toys, and foraging opportunities.

Just keep your routine as close as possible day to day. Out of cage time here is a must, it is expected by them. Now I have two, who are very good buddies and spend their out of cage time together everytime.

They can entertain each other allowing time to be spent with our Cockatoo that demands the attention and having to be out with us.

My birds are very happy Amazons and have lived with me all their lives since they were babies. They just know this life and they don't like change. So life's routine is kept simple and what works for them.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I don’t believe many birds need a strict routine if they’re not raised that way. My past Grey and current Zon were/are amazingly flexible and mellow.

But a bored bird is going to be a problem, a serious problem. So out of cage time at night is important.

However, let’s say you have to work late and get home late, or your car breaks down. He shouldn’t freak out at these rare occasions, which is why I don’t believe in strict schedules and routines.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I don’t believe many birds need a strict routine if they’re not raised that way. My past Grey and current Zon were/are amazingly flexible and mellow.

But a bored bird is going to be a problem, a serious problem. So out of cage time at night is important.

However, let’s say you have to work late and get home late, or your car breaks down. He shouldn’t freak out at these rare occasions, which is why I don’t believe in strict schedules and routines.
I agree.

We need a life, too. Vacations need to happen.

That's why I'm thankful these amazons of mine can roll with unpredictable schedules.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

If you are thinking my reply was a strict routine, I will explain so it doesn't appear as strict.

I work aside from my online store. I might get home some nights at 7. Others after 8 even 9. The routine would be out of cage time nightly, some mornings too.

Hope this clears up my wording as in routine.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
If you are thinking my reply was a strict routine, I will explain so it doesn't appear as strict.

I work aside from my online store. I might get home some nights at 7. Others after 8 even 9. The routine would be out of cage time nightly, some mornings too.

Hope this clears up my wording as in routine.
That’s fine.

I just wanted to point out that some people have raised birds where if they don’t get their breakfast at 6:35am, the bird goes nuts. If the bird doesn’t get out of the cage one day, he freaks out.

They can and should be able to go with the flow to a reasonable extent.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That’s fine.

I just wanted to point out that some people have raised birds where if they don’t get their breakfast at 6:35am, the bird goes nuts. If the bird doesn’t get out of the cage one day, he freaks out.

They can and should be able to go with the flow to a reasonable extent.
That's an extreme, I am not sure of anyone adhering to exact times and birds freaking out. They don't know time, just as dogs don't.

But they will learn to expect the things we allow them to do because they know we will take them out at certain times. Birds form their own routines like day light, time to eat, sundown is time yo roost.

Just as we see our dogs looking to go out or eat at certain times.

Maybe I should have been alittle more detailed.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So many people keep birds and work a 9-5 or other full time job.
It´s about working out the other hours when you are not working, and dedicating them to <snip> your bird and his/her needs :)
This is the thing. Once you've got a bird, you need to go home and let the bird out/feed/ spend time with the bird. Not saying you "can't" go out after work, but whatever you used to do afterward takes a back seat to the baby's needs now.
So it's important to ask, not what about work, but what about my out-of-work hours. Some people get up early and play with their bird. Some do absolutely nothing during the week outside of the home, so they can go straight home and let him out.
Some might decide going out is too important and they don't want to be tied down with a bird.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all,

Is it possible to have an Amazon if you work a 9:00-5:00 job, five days a week? If so, what would you have to do to make it possible? It would probably be a 40"x30" cage, and loads of toys.
I have several amazons and a full time job. Amazons are one of the better large parrot species to have for the average person. So long as you don't mind the amazon attitude and don't expect it to be your snuggle buddy. My amazons thrive off a quick scratch several time a day. Some of them don't really like to just sit with me though like my cockatoo will. A decent sized cage is fine with a reasonable rotation of toys. It also helps to have a fish tank and a decent view out a nice window to give them something to think about. They like to look out windows, but also be far enough back or to the side they can "hide." Amazons like to have you around, but not necessarily in their face all the time. You can come and go and as long as they get food, toys and at least a few minutes of interaction, they are usually fine. They aren't usually a bird that wants to be your baby.