• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible for someone to train lots of birds to be docile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am in Hawaii right now. There is a man who has 15 or so birds, hys all the way down to irns that sit in a small area free( no cages) and he sells pictures of tourists with the birds. Every single one of those birds will allow strangers to hold them in the palm of their hands on their backs. They all sit so still. None of them bite. They let anyone pet them.
I have a heart attack watching them all scurry around while the crowds of people walk by, AND letting three year old children hold them on their backs!

Please, someone say that they can be humanely trained to be so docile.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He has probably selected those birds carefully for their docile and friendly personalities. I don't know what sort of training he's used, but if they're not afraid of people, we can hope that it is humane.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Probably just constant exposure to that lifestyle from a young age......animals are the kings at adapting!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Lots of positive reinforcement. If the birds look healthy and happy then they're being treated right.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If he has trained them to live in his yard ( without any aversive methods) that's pretty darn impressive. He must understand them pretty darn well.

Are those birds clipped?

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Sure. I have 13 birds that are docile...although only 3 of them i would completely trust with very young children. I think the biggest difference is having the same, knowledgable, owner from day one....and constantly pushing their limits so they are acceptant of touching anywhere, fast movement, etc.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Yes, they are clipped. They still have mischief in them, the macaws beak each other, the greys are sneaky, trying to get on the floor, the irns are busy chewing, the toos are love sponges etc.

I have seen guys selling pictures with macaws in other places, they seem sort of blank. These ones arent.

Also, they work five days a week between 3 pm and 8pm, so they arent in the heat all day like I have seen in other places.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Phew, I am glad to read this, they were haunting me.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Maybe you could have had a chat to him about his techniques? Good opportunity to welcome another AA member, etc... :hehe:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I wish!
If you dont have money in your hand they wont give you the time of day.
I will try tonight :)

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
Absolutely! I raise therapy rabbits (different than parrots yes but the principle is the same) It is a matter of conditioning and desensitizing the animal to be comfortable. As well as carefully selecting them based on natural temperament.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Once he had a few of them trained it would be pretty easy to introduce other young ones. They would see what's going on and would integrate themselves into "this" flocks protocol.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Danita...exotic parrots of every species you can imagine, have been trained *humanely* to act as draws for the tourist trade.

Our daughter has photos of herself with all sorts of macaws - 4 of them on her at once...in Costa Rica.

My sister has lots of pics of her and her hubby, in Vegas, with ekkies, B&G's, M2's...all perched on her arm at once.

Any parrot can be trained to *perform* or do tricks. I've been to the San Diego Zoo where they put on a spectacular show of flying birds.

I have seen many photos from my family, where performing parrots are featured.
One only has to look at the gorgeous feathering, and the feet & eyes, to see that they are healthy.

Of course, there will always be the BAD trainers, with any animal...but for the most part, I truly believe these parrot tourist attractions are well cared for birds. If they were not well cared for...the source of income would dry up for the person selling photos.
It's in the trainer/showmans' best interest to have well adjusted birds.

I also feel if the birds were mistreated - they would be more aggressive. Which would make them useless for these photo ops.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's not Lahaina, Maui, is it???

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am glad everyone agrees it can be done.
:)

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
The link to the YouTube video didn't work for me but the fact that he has a Hyacinth, I know who you're talking about. He used to be a member of the local parrot club (he and I quit right around the same time - too much internal BS) and we were able to meet the Hyacinth soon after he got the bird from the mainland. I'm not going to say anything out in the open about him............... *shakes head*

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There is a guy who has a show on in the a.m. I can get his name from my sister, she watches him a lot. He is amazing and keeps all kinds of animals together you would never think would get along.{cat/mouse...stuff like that}

HungryBird

I think it is possible. When my boyfriend was young he knew an old man who had ten or twelve parakeets that were allowed free flight throughout the apartment all day long but at night he would whistle just once and they would all fly into their sleep cages! I think that is the coolest thing ever. I know that's not the same as having a bunch of different birds let everyone touch them but it does demonstrate the ability of a human to be in command of a bird flock without being mean. This man loved his parakeets and was never, ever mean to them.

If you want to find out more about the training techniques he uses (whether good or bad) you could just ask him. Tell him you have birds and are amazed at how well he seems to have his flock under control. That should loosen his lips! Maybe a quick bat of the eyelashes and pretend to faint? Haha, if you decide to go undercover as a damsel in distress I hope you have someone videotape it.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
There is a guy who has a show on in the a.m. I can get his name from my sister, she watches him a lot. He is amazing and keeps all kinds of animals together you would never think would get along.{cat/mouse...stuff like that}
I love that show! Petkeeping with Marc or something like that. He has such well behaved animals, it is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.