• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Is it plucking or molting ??

Trad_alwak

Moving in
Hi everyone,
I have a quaker since he was 1 month old and now he’s 6 months old , recently I noticed alot of feathers everywhere in his cage, and yesterday I saw a one long feather that is from his tale (I don’t know what is it called lol) and I felt worried.
There are no bald areas, I just noticed today when I gave him a shower that there are two ares (right and left) that contains some grey light feathers and one new green feather inside a hard sheath, and some new feathers inside the hard sheath in his head as well.
since I’m a new breeder, I’m wondering if this is a normal molting or is it plucking behavior ?
Otherwise he is active, eats and plays.
Thanks for ur help

Attachments

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
Not a vet, but to me that looks like a normal molt. My bird is 7 mo old and he has “shedded” one of his tail feathers. He has feathers in the sheaths just like yours, they’re not harmful, but he doesn’t have any of the downy. @Birdbabe ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like a moult to me. First moult is usually pretty ugly.
Boy that´s a lot of pinnies on his head :faint: Be sure to offer lots of bathing opportunities to help him to break the keratin off. Some birds like a little help (gently preening).

@SandraK @Mizzely ?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hi everyone,
I have a quaker since he was 1 month old and now he’s 6 months old , recently I noticed alot of feathers everywhere in his cage, and yesterday I saw a one long feather that is from his tale (I don’t know what is it called lol) and I felt worried.
There are no bald areas, I just noticed today when I gave him a shower that there are two ares (right and left) that contains some grey light feathers and one new green feather inside a hard sheath, and some new feathers inside the hard sheath in his head as well.
since I’m a new breeder, I’m wondering if this is a normal molting or is it plucking behavior ?
Otherwise he is active, eats and plays.
Thanks for ur help
Your Quaker seems to be molting and the new feathers that have the sheaths are normal. You can also spray him lightly with water which will help break up the sheath on his new feathers. The light grey feathers are new down which is also normal. Plucking would show as a whole area with the feathers pulled out and, if it were worse, you might see skin that could be bleeding or raw due to mutilation. All the feathers with sheaths are new ones coming in and there is nothing wrong with them. If you can give me your Quaker's name it would be easier to talk about him. Depending on how hand tame your Quaker is, you can/might be able to gently crush them with your fingernails and blow on the dust. Pin feathers as they are called, can sometimes make a bird irritable - like scratching a bad sunburn. Hope this helps.

Trad_alwak

Moving in
Thank you so so much, I really appreciate ur help!
I noticed that since he began molting, his behavior changed a little bit especially when touching his sheath he bites, I think it’s irritating him.
btw, his name is felfel (which means bell pepper in arabic).:)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
, I think it’s irritating him.
I bet! Little guy is a porcupine :lol: Be sure to offer plenty of bathing opportunities to help soften the keratin sheaths and soothe the itch. Pin feathers are uncomfortable and can create behavious changes/nippyness.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you so so much, I really appreciate ur help!
I noticed that since he began molting, his behavior changed a little bit especially when touching his sheath he bites, I think it’s irritating him.
btw, his name is felfel (which means bell pepper in arabic).:)
I love it! His name matches him to a T. My first Quaker when I was 15 (in the last century :lol:) was called Krakatoa after the volcano. The new feathers do irritate their skin which is why I'd suggest a light spray of water or providing him with a shallow bowl or dish so Felfel can bathe. It seems to make them feel better but prepare for a small hurricane or typhoon. When a Quaker takes a bath they really take a bath! :heart: Talk to him a lot - he'll learn and repeat so be careful of what words you teach him or he hears. Quakers are also very intelligent and will study their cage doors if they have to be cage during the day. Quaker JJ has small padlocks on the cage openings we don't use because he will let himself out and then open other cage doors too. :ovract: :banghead:

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Pin feathers suggest a molt i think.