• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it PBFD?

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
Does it look like PBFD?
I noticed a the bald spot under the beak of my 3 months old Alexandrian parrot.
And also his beak looks damaged a well as his tail feathers (pics are attached).
I live in Oman and there is no PBFD testing here.
I also have 2 G&B macaws.

Attachments

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
There is bald spot under the beak of my 3 months old Alexandrian parrot, plus his tail feathers looks damaged.
I am worry it might be PBFD, and I have another 2 G&B macaws.
I live in Oman and testing for PBFD is not available here.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't think it is PBFD. It just doesn't have the appearance of that disease. Do your vets (if any) take blood samples from birds? If so they can take a sample and send it to any one of a number of laboratories around the world. There are several who accept samples from other than vets here in the US. The vet would need to find out how to prepare the sample for shipment and it could be quite expensive.

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
I don't think it is PBFD. It just doesn't have the appearance of that disease. Do your vets (if any) take blood samples from birds? If so they can take a sample and send it to any one of a number of laboratories around the world. There are several who accept samples from other than vets here in the US. The vet would need to find out how to prepare the sample for shipment and it could be quite expensive.
Before vets here used to send samples to Dubai, UAE but now the borders are closed because of COVID.
So that one was the only option.

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
What else it could be?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know that it is any disease at all - just can' give a diagnosis without vet license and not seeing the bird. Have you taken a close look at his diet and living situation?

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
I don't know that it is any disease at all - just can' give a diagnosis without vet license and not seeing the bird. Have you taken a close look at his diet and living situation?
All day long, the bird is free-range in the big room. In the cage only sleeps at night (10 hours).He also has toys and stands.
Food: Pallets Zupreem, grain food, fresh fruit, vegetables, sometimes a boiled egg.
I found this parrot a month ago in the street dehydrated and wasted, his weight was 170g. Now it is 210g.
But these strange feathers....
I keep him separate from the othea 2 macaws, but I'm still afraid of infecting them with something. The vets here are not so good, and I have already taken him to them twice, but they can't say anything about the feathers.
He scratches the place that's bald.
I took better picture while showering him.
Can it be parasites? But I didn't notice any.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The tail feather that has the funny looking patch on it looks very similar to a feather my bird had preened open way before it was finished growing and ready to be opened- It really seemed to be badly irritating him while growing and he picked roughly at it a fair bit which damaged the growing feather. He actually had three like it but one was much worse than the others. The texture was all uneven and kind of wrinkly and one of the others ended up with a hole in it when it was brand new.

I am not saying that is definitely what the issue is with your guys tail but to me the feather looks like it may have been damaged while it was still growing.

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
Thank you for sharing your experience. I will check if vets can do skin test here.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly?
Since you’re so limited with available vet care and testing, you might just want to wait a moult out.
She’s gained a good deal of weight with you, and street urchins sometimes need an entire moult season to look decent.

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
Honestly?
Since you’re so limited with available vet care and testing, you might just want to wait a moult out.
She’s gained a good deal of weight with you, and street urchins sometimes need an entire moult season to look decent.
I just worry about my other birds, 2 G&B macaws, they are about 10 and 7 years old.
I keep them separate but still worry.

Maggu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggy
The tail feather that has the funny looking patch on it looks very similar to a feather my bird had preened open way before it was finished growing and ready to be opened- It really seemed to be badly irritating him while growing and he picked roughly at it a fair bit which damaged the growing feather. He actually had three like it but one was much worse than the others. The texture was all uneven and kind of wrinkly and one of the others ended up with a hole in it when it was brand new.

I am not saying that is definitely what the issue is with your guys tail but to me the feather looks like it may have been damaged while it was still growing.
In fact, he was playing with these feathers all the time. And the bald spot under his beak he scratches with his paw.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just worry about my other birds, 2 G&B macaws, they are about 10 and 7 years old.
I keep them separate but still worry.
I’m the stinky “rain on everyone’s parade” person... but anytime you bring a bird into your household, if the new bird isn’t 100% fully vetted and quarantined someplace other than your home, you’re putting your current flock at risk. How high the risk and what that risk is, depends on the situation.
You brought a strange bird into your household, and can’t vet it. There’s a chance one of your birds could get sick. On the reverse, if your birds aren’t fully vetted, the Alexandrine could catch a contagion from them. My avian vet has always had the stance that quarantining in different rooms of the same house just doesn’t work. They have had too many people unsuccessfully try.
Since the doing is done, your best bet is to troop on from here. The Alexanderine is gaining weight and although she looks a hot mess, might just need a good moult. Or, she could be harboring disease. Without adequate blood testing, we can’t know.