• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it ok to run around with my cockatiel for exercise?

macaronish

Hit the Road
Macaroni isn't the most confident flier, however she's been getting better. Recently I've been running around the room with her on my hand while she flaps her wings wildly and ends up flying off my hand across the room. She lands, I pick her up and we go again. She seems to get really tired out by a few rounds of this and usually goes to sleep immediately after. Is this a good game for building her wing muscles and exercising?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Macaroni isn't the most confident flier, however she's been getting better. Recently I've been running around the room with her on my hand while she flaps her wings wildly and ends up flying off my hand across the room. She lands, I pick her up and we go again. She seems to get really tired out by a few rounds of this and usually goes to sleep immediately after. Is this a good game for building her wing muscles and exercising?
It certainly sounds like it!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
As long as you’re sure she likes it and she isn’t flying around stressed, I think it’s great. Just make sure you stop when she is ready to end the game.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Has this bird had a recent wellness checkup by an avian vet?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Yes, this would be a good muscle. However, if she’s tired after 1-2 rounds there might be a problem.