• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it normal that my babies always want to be fed?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Eva and Wally are 5 and 6 weeks old. Pellets and seeds are coming in 2 days. They only eat formula by spoon. So far, they’ve seen veggies and it’s been offered (while i was preparing breakfast for my tortoise) and Wally has nibbled on a few millets. Same will be offered tomorrow.

Although I would like to start cutting down the feedings, I know it’s recommended to just feed them instead of letting them cry as that’s not natural and could cause anxiety because of food insecurity. I have noticed that when I feed them when they call and it’s mostly Eva calling now, she is easier to soothe!! She was hungry and wants cuddles.

I try to do 8AM, 2PM, 7PM, 11PM. I do a late night feeding because it tends to keep them sleeping until the morning and not waking up at 3AM. That’s 4 feedings still! If they had it their way, they would eat every 4 hours, that’s 5 feedings. That seems so much! I’m going to continue to do the 4, I’ve been noticing that they are so excited to eat and hungry but get distracted and stop after (what I feel is like 70%) and just run over to me to be held and snuggled. I chalked this up to them weaning in the next 1-3 weeks. They used to fill their crops fully but now, they just run away from the dinner table before they are done haha. Their crops fill properly and empty quickly. He has a lot of energy, she is a bit less hyper.

I tried to put them to bed early, last feeding earlier but they woke me up at 130 and I did a feeding. I am off work for a few more days, so it’s fine, but I would like them to get some sleep. They only sleep straight like 12AM-6AM and sleep throughout the day, on and off. I cover the tank so it’s dark. It just doesn’t seem like progression. Is this behavior normal for almost weaning babies? I don’t want her to scream and stress anymore and want them to feel full and comforted for bed. How come they can’t make it through the night without waking up for food? Even when they were filling their crop fully. I know the parents feed them periodically in nature but in hand rearing, I heard that they don’t usually need that middle of the night feeding. Especially at this age, they can get a good night sleep and make it through trip morning.

Thanks in advance. I’m a worried mama, haha

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
FYI, yesterday was 730, 12, 5, 10, and 130. That’s the most feedings I think I’ve done!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Zara

It will be helpful to mention the weights of your birds and the amount of food you are feeding each bird ( I vaguely seem to recall them being different ages)

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
@Zara

It will be helpful to mention the weights of your birds and the amount of food you are feeding each bird ( I vaguely seem to recall them being different ages)
Eva is 40 and 5 weeks now
Wally is 53 and 6 weeks now

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Eva is 40 and 5 weeks now
Wally is 53 and 6 weeks now
I honestly just use a 1/3 of a scoop and they finish it all. She gained about 10 grams and he gained about 11 grams after a feeding. This is the best I could do with very squirmy birds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They really need to be starting the weaning process. Until they are actually eating anything aside from formula, the feeds will never go down and you will be doing 5 hand feeds. The only reason it has reduced until this point is because the crop is bigger and can hold more food.
Once they start eating the adult foods, is when they will start eating less formula, and as they eat less, feeds can be gradually removed.
Each bird is different so it´s important to read and understand the birds needs, and feed accordingly.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
They really need to be starting the weaning process. Until they are actually eating anything aside from formula, the feeds will never go down and you will be doing 5 hand feeds. The only reason it has reduced until this point is because the crop is bigger and can hold more food.
Once they start eating the adult foods, is when they will start eating less formula, and as they eat less, feeds can be gradually removed.
Each bird is different so it´s important to read and understand the birds needs, and feed accordingly.
They really do! My pellets and seeds are coming in tomorrow, I’ve been offering veggies and fruits and greens but have gotten the death stare, and lots of screaming which leads to me having to comfort them like babies in order to get them to calm down. Last night, I did the midnight feeding in hopes to keep them full until 6. Nope. 4AM they were ready to eat. I found myself saying, you guys reallllly need to start weaning haha.

Today, is a new day! They tried a variety of food (zucchini, carrot, yam, blueberry, strawberry and bananas) and it must have jump started something in them. They started to fly 1 foot distances! First Eva, out of desperation to get to food. She’s very dramatic haha. Wally seems to not be taking off as her. He’s a bit chubby. But after a few attempts, he did it! And he keeps practicing! Going to my pillow and gliding to my knee over and over again. She always regresses after a feeding. She will only stop screaming if you hold her and rock her and cover her like a burrito.

I’m just so happy that they are progressing, the chop was a success and I can’t wait to try moist pellets tomorrow. I just hope I can bring them some comfort through the night.

Thank you so much to everyone for sticking with me as I go through the “is it enough/not enough” phase.