• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it healthy to feed Morning Doves small parrot pellets?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
It is safe to feed Morning Doves small parrot pellets or should they be strictly fed seed? I have done a lot of research and haven't been able to find any answers on this topic. For any of you that have doves/pigeons do you feed them pellets? If you do feed them pellets and seed, what is your ratio?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you are looking for a safe pelleted food for mourning doves, I would be inclined toward a pellet that was formulated for pigeons, rather than parrots. They would have more similarity to doves.

I am not familiar with the top brands, but here is one example of a pigeon pellet:

The manufacturer recommends mixing up to 75% pellets with seeds.

Also notice that this is a 25% pellet. That number is the amount of protein in the pellet. The same company also offers an 18% pellet. The higher protien is good for fast-growing young birds and breeding birds, but not the best choice for "resting" birds. Be sure to consider your bird's activity level and overall health when picking a pellet feed.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi Miriam! Have missed you! :hug8: I feed my doves cockatiel seed mix, no sunflower, and the tiny Zupreem fruity pellets, they also like the tiny broccoli florets..