• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it feather plucking? Please help me :(

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
I have a one-year-old cockatiel. He went through his first moult but I notice that every once in a while he will lose more feathers for a few days. All of the feathers I have seen him drop have looked normal and they were complete but today I saw one feather that worried me. I have attached a picture of the feather and it had a v-shape. I know feathers that have that shape are a sign that they might have been chewed so I am super worried that my baby might be plucking.
I was wondering if this might also happen due to other reasons. I know this feather is very old and from when he was a baby because there is blood stains on it from an accident that happened a couple of months ago. I have not seen any other feathers that look like this or any bald spots and I see multiple pin feathers growing back in.
I would appreciate if anyone could provide me some insight as to if this looks like plucking or if this might be normal.

Attachments

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Going to bump this so other can help.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To me, that is not a V shaped chewed feather. That’s a tatty looking feather that has a bit of over grooming at the end. Probably a feather that went through its natural course of life.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The reason birds molt is to get rid of ratty feathers and replace them with new feathers that are more functional! Babies are quite rough on their feathers ;) Nothing worries me about this individual feather.