• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it enough to come exist and interact with a macaw?

Road2go

Sitting on the front steps
I'm taking regular care of a big girl. She enjoys the toys I buy her and all the good stuff. But I don't know if that's enough. She's a sweetheart and bit me once, (barely even a bite I just got red skin) . Totally my fault and I understood my mistake and we moved on. Half a year later and it's never happened again so obviously she's the sweetest. But tho she doesn't bite me she doesn't really wanna step up and stuff. I don't care for my part but am I taking care of her well enough then? We interact all day long through talking together and co existing. Also i get her a bunch of toys and perches. I've never put her in her cage because I feel like we connect better this way. We even sleep in the same room.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A few questions:

What species is the macaw?

Do you know the age of this macaw?

If she's not in her cage where is she?

What's her diet?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does she come out of her cage? I suggest target training. Sugar creek bird farm is doing an online class which is supposed to be good.

Road2go

A few questions:

What species is the macaw?

Do you know the age of this macaw?

If she's not in her cage where is she?

What's her diet?
Buffons girl she's 10 and I've made her a nice place she likes a lot more than her cage, a few perches on the wall, the wall is covered with wood too for her to chew. And some rope for her to go around on. She eats harrison pellets and some veg and a little fruit. Mixed nuts as treats. I think I'm gonna start sprouting for her too any thoughts on that?

Road2go

Does she come out of her cage? I suggest target training. Sugar creek bird farm is doing an online class which is supposed to be good.
She is target trained and she's actually never been in her cage. Free birdie

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Sounds to me like she as amazing life with you some birds just aren’t hand birds they interact differently and that’s totally fine doesn’t mean she any less happy
Shows how attentive you are that you know your and hers boundaries

please share pictures pretty please

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Hmm when you mentioned she doesn’t want to step up, is it out of fear or disinterest? Or perhaps she just doesn’t know? Sometimes we forget that stepping up is a trained trick. While I think it is fine to not learn that, there’s no harm in going slow at training her to step up also.

Road2go

Hmm when you mentioned she doesn’t want to step up, is it out of fear or disinterest? Or perhaps she just doesn’t know? Sometimes we forget that stepping up is a trained trick. While I think it is fine to not learn that, there’s no harm in going slow at training her to step up also.
She is trained. With someone else lol. Just worried she might not get enough interaction by just us talking together and stuff. She's a sweetheart and I'm sure we'll be able to do it someday. Also do you have any thoughts on sprouting? Should I start that with harrison pellets?

Road2go

Sounds to me like she as amazing life with you some birds just aren’t hand birds they interact differently and that’s totally fine doesn’t mean she any less happy
Shows how attentive you are that you know your and hers boundaries

please share pictures pretty please
I wish I could share a Pic. But I'm kinda scared of sharing a picture of her online. Lol. I agree with you that some birds aren't hand birds. It's nice to see someone agrees.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
She is trained. With someone else lol. Just worried she might not get enough interaction by just us talking together and stuff. She's a sweetheart and I'm sure we'll be able to do it someday. Also do you have any thoughts on sprouting? Should I start that with harrison pellets?
I don’t know anything about sprouting so can’t help you there