• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it better to have 2 cockatiels than one?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Hi guys, about more than a month ago I sold my cockatiel Lily to a cockatiel breeder weeks after her mate died, so she would be able to find a new mate and lay fertile eggs like she's always wanted. I know it wasn't the best choice that she leave her home before she could properly grieve, but I didn't want her to get depressed somewhere where her and her mate lived for so long.

Now my cockatiel Ember seemed to like have Lily around, but now the only bird friend she has now is Jade, who doesn't like her. He tired biting her neck a few times in the past, so we don't want to risk her spending too much time with him, since he gets easily angry with her. Ember is the kind of bird that loves to have both human and bird contact, so I really wanted to get her a cockatiel friend or mate, once she is over a year old, because by then I will have to spend less time with her. Another reason is because Ember and Jade have bonded with everyone is the house but me, even when I've tried so hard to make them like me. :(

I really miss having two cockatiels like I used too, but the problem is the rest of my family really don't want another a bird.

Does anyone have any good reasons why it would be better to have two cockatiels or conures?

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Honestly I'm not a fan of the mindset that you'll "have to spend less time with her" because she's reached sexual maturity.
Also, if you get another cockatiel you run the risk of them not getting along and/or bonding with everyone but you, thus repeating the situation you're already in.
Is Jade another cockatiel or a conure?
Personally, I would just work on your relationship with the birds already currently in the house.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I always think it´s nice for birds to have a friend, but as mentioned, there´s no guarantee the birds will get on. You could end up bringing home a second ´Tiel that gets on with all other family members and not you, and doesn´t get on with either of your two current birds. I don´t see that being a better situation.

the problem is the rest of my family really don't want another a bird.
Unfortunately, this is the line in the sand.
Maybe in the future you could bring home another bird, but for now, go back to the start with Ember and try building up some trust between you see where it takes you.
Spend time with her, feed her some of her favourite foods, play with toys with her, talk to her :)
Same goes for your other bird.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Honestly I'm not a fan of the mindset that you'll "have to spend less time with her" because she's reached sexual maturity.
Also, if you get another cockatiel you run the risk of them not getting along and/or bonding with everyone but you, thus repeating the situation you're already in.
Is Jade another cockatiel or a conure?
Personally, I would just work on your relationship with the birds already currently in the house.
In February I will have to go back to school, but for now I'm doing it online. The only person who will be able to take care of her is my mom. The only person Ember is closest to is my sister, even when she does things Ember hates such as clipping her talons, and giving her bathes she still flies back to her. I don't know how they have this strong of a bond.

I used to have one with my cockatiel Leia before she passes away, and I spent every second with her before her death, so when I saw Ember got sick I was too scared to be with her as I thought the same thing would happen again, but she luckily recovered. I guess since my sister stood beside her in her time of need because she didn't during Leia's.

For now then I will work on my relationship with Ember. Thanks for the advice!

And Jade is a conure

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
When my birds seem to like other family members more than me, or even their birdie friends more, I just look at it as it’s not that they like them better, it’s that they like them differently than they like me. Not better or worse. Niko considers my husband her mate, but she thinks of me as a friend who helps her when she needs it and gives her scratches when hubby isn’t around. Sunset loves one of my daughters like a sister. It’s funny, she likes to hang out on her and they bicker and argue, but she loves me as her friend and trusts me more. Cappuccino likes me, and enjoys my husband, but mostly I think she likes herself. :lol: Try hanging out with your birds without the other family members around, which will help them to focus on you. Be the only one who gives them their favorite treats, and try some training to help strengthen your bond.