• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is infrared lamp safe for birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, Does anyone use this infrared lamp for birds or in aviary?? Is infrared radiation safe for birds?? 130100952_2810148089203108_2638147042819273058_n.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wouldn't use that, so much can go wrong ant the light would keep the birds awake. Ironically there's another thread on the go that will interest you.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
That Bulb is completely safe i have just one like that!
Infrared is a "Light spectrum" just like ordinary light but in a different spectrum. The light emits heat and not much visible light!
Here is a picture!

Infrared - Wikipedia

" IR wavelengths extend from the nominal red edge of the visible spectrum at 700 nanometers (frequency 430 THz), to 1 millimeter (300 GHz).[5] Most of the thermal radiation emitted by objects near room temperature is infrared. "

" Night-vision devices using active near-infrared illumination allow people or animals to be observed without the observer being detected. "

" Strong infrared radiation in certain industry high-heat settings may be hazardous to the eyes, resulting in damage or blindness to the user. Since the radiation is invisible, special IR-proof goggles must be worn in such places."

Br Azor

Attachments

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That Bulb is completely safe i have just one like that!
Infrared is a "Light spectrum" just like ordinary light but in a different spectrum. The light emits heat and not much visible light!
Here is a picture!

Infrared - Wikipedia

" IR wavelengths extend from the nominal red edge of the visible spectrum at 700 nanometers (frequency 430 THz), to 1 millimeter (300 GHz).[5] Most of the thermal radiation emitted by objects near room temperature is infrared. "

" Night-vision devices using active near-infrared illumination allow people or animals to be observed without the observer being detected. "

" Strong infrared radiation in certain industry high-heat settings may be hazardous to the eyes, resulting in damage or blindness to the user. Since the radiation is invisible, special IR-proof goggles must be worn in such places."

Br Azor
Please no. Please don't tell me you're actually recommending the use of these industrial heat lamps. Please also tell me you don't use them yourself.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Please no. Please don't tell me you're actually recommending the use of these industrial heat lamps. Please also tell me you don't use them yourself.
they are NOT industrial?

where did u get that idea from!?
There is nothing "industrial about it" its a domestic IR-lamp. If you are more "informed" please tell me that is wrong with IR?
It is used in human medicine as well!

You say: I wouldn't use that, so much can go wrong ant the light would keep the birds awake. Ironically there's another thread on the go that will interest you.
Also you call the lamp i use "industrial"

Birds has the same IR-visual light spectrum as we humans. Before recommending and acting like a "knowitall" do some learning. This is not a debate its FACKTS!

"Birds have very different eyes than we do. ... However, like humans, birds do not see above about 700 nanometers. While some birds range into UV, IR light is as invisible to them as it is to us".

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I see you and I are not going to get along. I also see a lot of other members falling out with you over quite a few of your views.
You are denying that these lamps don't give off visible light, when they clearly do. You've seen them being used in catering to keep food hot (the industry they're designed for) and in farming to keep chicks warm (another industry) ,and you invite people to use them in their homes. Really?
I'm not going to rise to you - beyond ignoring you.
Read these forums, see how outdated your views are, then start bringing your thoughts and suggestions up to date.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Incidentally I've been keeping quiet about you undermining good advice and enthusing your own bad advice that you probably googled for. If it happens again I will count it as trolling and I will make issue.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
I see you and I are not going to get along. I also see a lot of other members falling out with you over quite a few of your views.
You are denying that these lamps don't give off visible light, when they clearly do. You've seen them being used in catering to keep food hot (the industry they're designed for) and in farming to keep chicks warm (another industry) ,and you invite people to use them in their homes. Really?
I'm not going to rise to you - beyond ignoring you.
Read these forums, see how outdated your views are, then start bringing your thoughts and suggestions up to date.
Read what forums?

Are you ignoring science?

Just because something is used in an industry do not make it dangerus, think 3D-printers or elements (or whatever you can think of that is used on macro/micro scales).

IR is just radiation (electromagnetic radiation just like light but different wavelength), heat lamps are used by veterinarians and you seem to seem to neglect this.

Heat lamps
A heat lamp is an incandescent light bulb that is used for the principal purpose of creating heat. The spectrum of black-body radiation emitted by the lamp is shifted to produce more infrared light. Many heat lamps include a red filter to minimize the amount of visible light emitted. Heat lamps often include an internal reflector.

Heat lamps are commonly used in shower and bathrooms to warm bathers and in food-preparation areas of restaurants to keep food warm before serving. They are also commonly used for animal husbandry. Lights used for poultry are often called brooding lamps. Aside from young birds, other types of animals which can benefit from heat lamps include reptiles, amphibians, insects, arachnids, and the young of some mammals.

The sockets used for heat lamps are usually ceramic because plastic sockets can melt or burn when exposed to the large amount of waste heat produced by the lamps, especially when operated in the "base up" position. The shroud or hood of the lamp is generally metal. There may be a wire guard over the front of the shroud, to prevent touching the hot surface of the bulb.

Ordinary household white incandescent bulbs can also be used as heat lamps, but red and blue bulbs are sold for use in brood lamps and reptile lamps. 250-watt heat lamps are commonly packaged in the "R40" (5" reflector lamp) form factor with an intermediate screw base.

Heat lamps can be used as a medical treatment to provide dry heat when other treatments are ineffective or impractical.[7]

Ceramic infrared heat systems
Ceramic infrared heating elements are used in a diverse range of industrial processes where long wave infrared radiation is required. Their useful wavelength range is 2–10 μm. They are often used in the area of animal/pet healthcare too. The ceramic infrared heaters (emitters) are manufactured with three basic emitter faces: trough (concave), flat, and bulb or Edison screw element for normal installation via an E27 ceramic lamp holder.

Check out sources here.

Infrared heater - Wikipedia

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Incidentally I've been keeping quiet about you undermining good advice and enthusing your own bad advice that you probably googled for. If it happens again I will make issue.
Are you for real?

YOU are the one giving terrible advice, and when corrected you use sarcasm to deflect (like in my post about my sick little budgie).
YOU should be ASHEMED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.