• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is his beak too long?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
We went to the vet for a pedicure this morning and the vet tech asked me- what we need done for grooming this time?
I said - just nails please.
And she said - his beak looks a little long. As you sure you don't want it trimmed?
I said - no thank you. I think it's ok for now. And she said - it's not too sharp?
I said- no, I think he's ok.
And she finally let it go. Mind you, if the actual vet said that to me I think I would have taken it a little more seriously in the moment.

In the past I have seen a big chunk fall off of Blu's beak on it's own time.
20190628_103435.jpg
So I'm in the school of thought that it will come off when it's ready, and it doesn't impede his ability to do anything, so it's ok. I also don't want him to feel sore afterwards, if it's not really needed.

What do you guys think? Does his beak look too long?
20200118_102042.jpg 20200118_102045.jpg
20200118_101140.jpg

Attachments

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I'm not as familiar with his species, but as long as he has plenty of something to chew and no other health issues he should be perfectly fine.

Rhubarb can get a long tip sometimes because she's a light chewer, but if it gets long enough it puts her in the mood to destroy some pine blocks and off comes the big flake that was annoying her! I'm a big proponent of not using the dremmel on beaks outside of medical necessity or in cases of inadequate toy hardness/availability.

A vet office sees the cross-spectrum of everyone so even though you provide an environment where he can easily care for his own beak, and may not want to have it trimmed, you might be in the minority. Like people who keep barefoot horses! (Now that's a hornet's nest of opinions for sure!)

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
From my perspective, it looks fine

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm not as familiar with his species, but as long as he has plenty of something to chew and no other health issues he should be perfectly fine.

Rhubarb can get a long tip sometimes because she's a light chewer, but if it gets long enough it puts her in the mood to destroy some pine blocks and off comes the big flake that was annoying her! I'm a big proponent of not using the dremmel on beaks outside of medical necessity or in cases of inadequate toy hardness/availability.

A vet office sees the cross-spectrum of everyone so even though you provide an environment where he can easily care for his own beak, and may not want to have it trimmed, you might be in the minority. Like people who keep barefoot horses! (Now that's a hornet's nest of opinions for sure!)
Thank you so much for your input! Blu is usually a light chewer too but I've noticed in the last couple of weeks he's finally, for the first time ever, chipping pine blocks! I was so excited when I seen the little chips strewn about! It's so interesting that they know what they need to do!

I was just Googling Quaker parrot beak pictures and I seen alot of beaks that look very similar to Blu's , plus I agree with what you think, so I feel much better now that I made the right decision. Thank you!!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No not to long.
Glad you refused a beak trim. :)
That's is not something you do until it's really necessary.

For me to long is when they can't use their beak normally, and when it's curl against their body, they can't close their beak or other medical reasons.

Blu is a handsome boy! ♥♥♥

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
No not to long.
Glad you refused a beak trim. :)
That's is not something you do until it's really necessary.

For me to long is when they can't use their beak normally, and when it's curl against their body, they can't close their beak or other medical reasons.

Blu is a handsome boy! ♥♥♥
Thank you so much! I/we appreciate it!!!:heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Nothing wrong with that beak.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thank you!!! Haha, you'll have to check in with him about that.....minute by minute ;)
That's alright! lol I figured as much! ;) Yeah, I really see *NO* point in trimming a beak on a healthy bird who has a *normal* beak! I'm seeing more and more people doing it because the bird bites. Not an answer...

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
That's alright! lol I figured as much! ;) Yeah, I really see *NO* point in trimming a beak on a healthy bird who has a *normal* beak! I'm seeing more and more people doing it because the bird bites. Not an answer...
That's a thing?! Seems very cruel considering they have feeling in the beak. I did get the end of Tootie's filed a few weeks ago, but just *barely* because I was on the fence about it. I'm glad I did it, and I don't anticipate having to do it again for a very very long time.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes. They do it to take the brunt of the damage away...

Rather than trying to avoid the bite, they keep putting the bird in a situation where the bird feels the need to bite... and the bird has clipped wings, so we can't clip them again... still biting.... so they must remove the tip so it doesn't hurt as much.

I hate this...

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
So sad that people think filing a beak down is the answer to biting. Blu bit my face for the first time ever this month...twice. But never did it cross my mind to make his beak less sharp. He's back to normal...for now. I'm just more careful and aware of the possibility now.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Rather than trying to avoid the bite, they keep putting the bird in a situation where the bird feels the need to bite...
Imo that is a failure in training and have nothing to do with the birds behavior.
If the bird have a choice it won't bite you. (Not include hormonal behavior)
That their beak is sharp is because it should be sharp. :)

Blu bit my face for the first time ever this month...twice.
I'm so sorry. :(
Often it hurts your heart more then your face. After one face bite, they only have shoulder time when I can supervise them or when I know that the situation never make them angry.
I'm just more careful and aware of the possibility now.
Yes, be that. :)
I don't want to scare you but you know that they are aiming for our eyes?