• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Hemp seed good for birds???

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hello, recently I heard that hemp seed is bad for bird because its a cannabis species plant and contain trace amount of cannabis. But I use it for my Cockatiels, Lovebirds and Conures. Anyone have bad effect on bird using hemp seed????
:tieln:-MEKU :budgie:-KIKI :tiel2:-VECTOR

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There's hemp seed in my birds' seed mixes and it does no harm at all. In fact it's a pretty good seed, full of goodies.
As long as it's hemp and not marijuana there will only be a tiny amount of THC in it, possible unmeasurable, and traces of CBD which is beneficial generally and good for quite a few conditions.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I’ve heard it was good for them. My U2, the original junk food junkie loves them. Blocked her when she wanted chips, Doritos, coffee etc and weaned her off of sunflower seeds etc - but she loves hemp seeds now -

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Hemp is a source of protein, wouldn't let them gorge on it. It gets added to my seed mixes. Everyone enjoys it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hemp seed sold in US is sterile so i hear. Not sure about your country.

Aksarben

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vernon
As long as it's hemp and not marijuana there will only be a tiny amount of THC
Actually, there is no trace amounts of THC in hemp seeds or marijuana seeds. None. I did some research, and I speak from my research that Cannabis sativa (cannabis plans) whether hemp or marijuana have the same make up in the seed. The THC is in the Trichomes of the flower and surrounding leaves of the flower, and ONLY after it has reached a certain maturity. This is why I thought it so interesting when the U.S. declassified hemp as legal in all 50 states. The seeds of either cannot be distinguished in looks or even in lab analysis. You could eat pounds of marijuana seeds and never experience any "high" or psychotic effects. There just isn't anything in seeds.
I have books on the subject, researched the web and I grow Cannabis for my wife and my use. So it was necessary to be well informed about it (Michigan is a grow legal state)
I know this thread is old but just wanted to pass this info along.

Hem p seeds ARE good, they have a source of right proportion of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats, in fact I buy cold pressed hemp seed oil for mixing into our dogs food. Makes the coat shiny. ALSO, there is one other things... as there is no THC in hemp or marijuana seeds, there is also NO CBD in the seeds either. None. CBD is formed in the Trichomes, those things that look like mushrooms, but transparent that are found on the flowers and surrounding leaves.